- Remus Lupin: "A fight broke out, [the Death Eaters] scattered and we gave chase. One of them, Gibbon, broke away and headed up the tower stairs —"
- Harry Potter: "To set off the Mark?"
- Remus Lupin: "He must have done, yes, they must have arranged that before they left the Room of Requirement. But I don't think Gibbon liked the idea of waiting up there alone for Dumbledore, because he came running back downstairs to rejoin the fight and was hit by a Killing Curse that just missed me."
- — Remus Lupin and Harry Potter shortly after the Battle of the Astronomy Tower[src]
Gibbon (d. 30 June, 1997) was a wizard and one of Lord Voldemort's Death Eaters. He fought in the Second Wizarding War, including the Battle of the Astronomy Tower in 1997. During the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, Gibbon set the Dark Mark above the Astronomy Tower. He was accidentally killed by fellow Death Eater Thorfinn Rowle, when he was hit by a stray Killing Curse.
Second Wizarding War
It is unknown if Gibbon had fought in the First War, and if he was imprisoned or he managed to avoid Azkaban. It is most likely that he was among the Death Eaters who did not search for Voldemort after his downfall.
Battle of the Astronomy Tower and death
On 30 June 1997, Gibbon fought in the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, along with fellow Death Eaters Alecto and Amycus Carrow, Yaxley, Thorfinn Rowle, Draco Malfoy, Severus Snape, and Fenrir Greyback. Gibbon was the Death Eater who set the Dark Mark above the Astronomy Tower. It is supposed that he did not like the idea of staying at the tower and waiting for Albus Dumbledore alone, so he ran downstairs. He died shortly afterwards, when a stray Killing Curse cast by Thorfinn Rowle that missed Remus Lupin struck Gibbon instead. It is unknown what happened to his body after the battle.
Personality and traits
Almost nothing is known about Gibbon's personality, except the fact that he feared Albus Dumbledore and that he did not want to stay at the Astronomy Tower and wait for him alone.
Magical abilities and skills
- Dark Mark: Gibbon was capable of creating a Dark Mark above Hogwarts, during a battle, something that a skilled and experienced wizard could create, according to Arthur Weasley.
- Martial magic: He might have been a skilled duelist, as he was said to be fighting against the Order of the Phoenix and escaping in order to go to the Astronomy Tower.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film) (possible appearance, unidentified)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Most likely)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 29 (The Phoenix Lament)
- ↑ http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2007/0730-bloomsbury-chat.html 30 July, 2007 Web Chat
Alecto Carrow | Amycus Carrow | Antonin Dolohov | Augustus Rookwood | Avery (I) | Avery (II) |
Barty Crouch Jr. | Bellatrix Lestrange | Cedric Diggory (third revised timeline) | Crabbe | Evan Rosier | Gibbon | Goyle |
Jugson | Lestrange | Mulciber (I) | Mulciber (II) | Nott | Pyrites (possibly) | Rabastan Lestrange | Rodolphus Lestrange | Rosier | Selwyn | Thorfinn Rowle | Travers | Walden Macnair | Wilkes | Corban Yaxley
|Death Eaters who Defected:|
|Death Eaters' allies:|
Albert Runcorn | Blaise Zabini (movie only) | Borgin | Delphini | Dolores Umbridge | Fenrir Greyback | Golgomath |
Gregory Goyle | John Dawlish | Mafalda Hopkirk | Narcissa Malfoy (defected) | Pansy Parkinson | Quirinus Quirrell | Scabior | Vincent Crabbe
Dementors | Draco Malfoy's gang | Giants (Golgomath's control) | Muggle-Born Registration Commission | Snatchers | Werewolves