The Giant Squid is a huge creature that possibly lives in lakes. It is semi-sentient and apparently not very dangerous due to the fact that the Giant Squid that dwells in Black Lake rescued Dennis Creevey when he fell off his boat during his first year boat trip to Hogwarts Castle for the Sorting ceremony of 1994; and also due to fact that it lets itself get tickled by Lee Jordan and Fred and George Weasley. The Giant Squid is also said to accompany students during their swim in the Black Lake.
Behind the scenes
- True giant squids (genus Architeuthis) are deep-sea-dwelling creatures, and hence would not actually be found in lakes, let alone the lochs of Scotland. It wouldn't be able to stand the sunlight, pressure, salinity (or lack thereof) of the water, the space or the lack of food. At one point during the books it is fed bread, which it wouldn't be able to digest. Giant squid also have very tender skin that would break if they were tickled by a stick, as the Weasley twins did. However, it is possible that, like Aragog, the Squid evolved/grew differently due to Hagrid's care and the surrounding environment. As of the many creatures living around Hogwarts in that period, it might have been a magical mutant.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4