Giant Squid are gigantic cephalopods, with eight arms and two long tentacles. Giant Squids can reach tremendous sizes, and are one of the largest living organisms. It is strongly suspected Giant Squids have magic powers.
Giant Squids are known to Muggles, although they remain mysterious animals to them. Although their extraordinary bodies have washed up all over the world, Muggles only managed to capture a live Giant Squid on film in 2006.
Behind the scenes
- True giant squids (genus Architeuthis) are deep-sea-dwelling creatures and can not live in fresh water such as inland lochs in Scotland. It would not be able to stand the sunlight, pressure, salinity (or lack thereof) of the water, the space or the lack of food. At one point during the books it is fed bread, which it would not be able to digest. Giant squid also have very tender skin that would break if they were tickled by a stick, as the Weasley twins did. However, it is possible that, like Aragog, the Squid evolved/grew differently due to Hagrid's care and the surrounding (magical) environment. It is also possible that the Hogwarts Giant Squid is of a different magical subspecies, which to non-magical giant squids would be what, for instance, kneazles are to mundane cats
- Ronald Weasley once stated that dating Lavender Brown was like going out with the giant squid because the more that he hinted that he wanted to finish it, the tighter she held on.
- J. K. Rowling once joked that the squid was actually Godric Gryffindor in his Animagus form. She was unexpectedly taken seriously by many fans, before she was forced to clarify this was actually a joke.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (GBC version only)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Appears on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4