|Ministry of Magic Classification||
A ghoul is an ugly creature that resembles a slimy, buck-toothed ogre. They tend to live in the attics or barns of wizards and witches. They are relatively harmless creatures and are just seen as nuisances because of the noise they make. They are relatively dimwitted, and live off of bugs and other household pests. At most, they will groan and throw objects.
A Ghoul Task Force exists at the Ministry of Magic, under the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. The Task Force is used to remove unwanted ghouls from houses that have passed in to Muggle ownership. There is a variety of ghoul, called the Chameleon Ghoul.
The attic in the Weasley family's home, The Burrow, is also home to a ghoul who occasionally bangs on the pipes, when it feels the house is too quiet. In 1997, Ron's family transfigured their Ghoul to look more like Ron. The idea was to make the ghoul look like Ron to replace him when he, Harry and Hermione set off to find the Horcruxes in case any Ministry workers were suspicious of Ron not attending school. The Ghoul had a contagious look to him so when the Ministry workers went to the The Burrow to check, the family said that he had a highly contagious disease called Spattergroit.
Behind the scenes
- The ghoul, originally spelled ghūl, originates from Arabic folklore, in which it is a type of djinn that dwells in burial grounds and feeds on human flesh.
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Draco Malfoy released a ghoul to attack Neville Longbottom in the Muggle Studies Classroom.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film) (Mentioned on book) (Disc 2)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (real)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references