in or before 1904
- "You will never fool the cedar carrier."
- —Gervaise Ollivander.[src]
Gervaise Ollivander was a wizard who came from a long line of wandmakers who had operated in Diagon Alley since 382 B.C. He was the son of Gerbold Octavius Ollivander, and the father of Garrick Ollivander. 
Gervaise Ollivander was born sometime between the nineteenth century and 1921, somewhere in Great Britain. He was born into the wizarding Ollivander family, who had been in the wand-making business since 382 B.C.
Career as a wandmaker
- "Early in my career, as I watched my wandmaker father wrestling with substandard wand core materials such as kelpie hair, I conceived the ambition to discover the finest cores and to work only with those when my time came to take over the family business. This I have done."
- —Garrick Ollivander.[src]
As it was practice at the time, a customer would often present the wandmaker with a magical substance to which they were attached, or had inherited, or by which their family swore. As such, Gervaise used a wide variety of wand cores. Early in his career, his son Garrick saw his father working with substandard wand core materials such as kelpie hair, kneazle whisker and Troll whisker. It was then that he conceived the ambition to work with only the finest cores, and thus discover the ideal wand.
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ A wizard comes of age at the age of 17; the latest date his son, Garrick Ollivander, could be born in 1921 - or else Garrick would have been too young to sell a wand to Tom Riddle in 1938 - so the latest Gervaise Ollivander can have been born is 1904.
- ↑ On Pottermore - "New from J.K. Rowling: Pure-Blood", the Ollivanders are mentioned to have been included in the Pure-Blood Directory published in Britain in the 1930s. As Gervaise Ollivander was already alive by 1930, this establishes that he must be a pure-blooded wizard; his son was not a Pure-blood, however. This was most likely due to Gervaise marrying a halfblood or a muggleborn.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Pottermore wand wood information (transcription available here)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Pottermore information on wand cores (transcription available here)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Pottermore background information on Garrick Ollivander (transcription available here)