Terminates all spell effects
- ""Finite Incantatem!" he shouted; Harry's feet stopped dancing, Malfoy stopped laughing and they were able to look up. A haze of greenish smoke was hovering over the scene."
- —The spell's use at the Duelling Club[src]
The General Counter-Spell (Finite Incantatem) is, as its name indicates, a counter-spell for general use. It may be used in duels or on an entire home, as a precaution before a wizard answers the door. It is similar to Finite, though the latter targets a specific object or individual, whilst this targets an area instead. This spell is one of the seven covered in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2.
- Hermione Granger used this to stop Dobby's Bludger from killing or seriously injuring Harry Potter during the Gryffindor-Slytherin match in her second year.
- Later that year, Severus Snape used it to end the various unfortunate jinxes, hexes, and curses that had been cast during the Duelling Club of 1992.
- During the Infiltration of the Ministry of Magic, Hermione Granger suggested to Ronald Weasley to use the spell to stop the rain in Yaxley's office.
From Latin finire, meaning "end", and incantationem, meaning "enchantment".
Behind the scenesEdit
- This spell is included in the Harry Potter: Spells application for the iPhone as a counter-attack spell.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter: Spells
Notes and referencesEdit
|Books: The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 1 · The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2 · The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 3 · The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4 · The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5 · The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 6|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|