Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Ginny Weasley: "You can't come down here! No, sorry, you're going to have to go round by the swivelling staircase, someone's let off Garrotting Gas just along here -"
- Surly Hogwarts student: "I can't see no gas."
- Ginny Weasley: "That's because it's colourless! But if you want to walk through it, carry on, then we'll have your body as proof for the next idiot who doesn't believe us."
- — Ginny Weasley claiming to dissenting passer-bys about the gas.[src]
A colourless gas, Garrotting Gas is produced as a result of the creation of a certain potion. Anyone exposed to the gas, will find themselves choking and as a result, may suffocate, as the gas catches people by the neck if they pass through it.
Fred and George Weasley were planning to release some in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in 1996, during Dolores Umbridge's tyrannical tenure as Headmistress, but they left the school before they had a chance. Their sister, Ginny, merely had to mention it to prevent students from traversing down a school corridor, which allowed Harry Potter and Hermione Granger to break into Umbridge's office to use her fireplace for communication.
A garrotte is a wirey weapon that can be used to strangle a victim, and also may refer to the action of "ripping through" something.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game) (First appearance)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 32 (Out of the Fire)
- ↑ "Powerful potions revealed for new game" at the "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)" official site
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter Glossary at the Bloomsbury Harry Potter website