|We must've been through hundreds of books already and we can't find him anywhere —|
Gamp was the surname of a pure-blood wizarding family. They were related to the Black family, and more distantly to the Macmillan and Prewett families. It is unknown if this family is still extant or pure-blood. However, all the known female line's descendants of this family (the sons of Hesper Gamp and Sirius Black II and their descendants) were dead by 1996.
- Ulick Gamp: the first Minister for Magic, serving from 1707 to 1718, after previously acting as Head of the Wizengamot. During his term as Minister for Magic, Ulick established the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.
- Hesper Black née Gamp: she married Sirius Black II, the heir of the prejudiced Black family. She was the great-grandmother of Sirius and Regulus Black.
- Gamp: another possible family member, who is the witch or wizard who discovered Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration.
Behind the scenes
The Gamps were not part of the Sacred Twenty-Eight, indicating that, by the 1930s, they were either extinct in the male line or no longer pure-blood (as judged by the author of the Pure-Blood Directory).
Notes and references
- ↑ This may be the case with Hesper Black née Gamp, as Horace Slughorn has claimed that all Blacks were Sorted into Slytherin. However, this may not included spouses, since members of other traditionally Non-Slytherin families were married into the family.
- ↑ Black family tree
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows