- "There was also a girl who looked no older than eight, whose clouds of silvery hair made Harry feel sure that she was Fleur Delacour's sister."
- —Description of Gabrielle Delacour[src]
Gabrielle Delacour was a quarter-Veela French witch. The daughter of Monsieur Delacour and Apolline Delacour, she had one older sister, Fleur, through whom Gabrielle was related to the Weasley family. She was saved in Second Task of the The Triwizard Tournament by Harry Potter.
Gabrielle was born between 31 July 1985 and 30 July 1986 to Monsieur Delacour, a wizard, and Apolline Delacour, a half-Veela witch, in France. She and her older sister Fleur are one-quarter Veela through their maternal grandmother. Eventually Gabrielle became the sister-in-law of Bill Weasley, and the aunt of Victoire Weasley, Dominique Weasley, and Louis Weasley.
The Triwizard Tournament
- "On the other side of the room, Fleur was jabbering away in French to her mother. Fleur's little sister, Gabrielle, was holding her mother's hand... She waved at Harry, who waved back, grinning."
- —Gabrielle and her mother visit Fleur before the start of the third task[src]
In October 1994, Fleur was chosen as Beauxbatons Academy of Magic's champion in the Triwizard Tournament. Because she treasured her younger sister Gabrielle (who was 8 at the time) above all else she was taken into the Black Lake, under the influence of a magical spell during the Second Task. Fleur failed to reach her due to grindylows and the affects of being underwater. Harry Potter the fourth champion of the tournament held off a hoard of Merpeople. Harry then brought Gabrielle to the surface of the lake, along with his own hostage Ron Weasley.
From that time on, both Fleur and Gabrielle treated Harry and Ron with a great deal of kindness. Gabrielle waved at Harry on the day of the Third Task, when visiting her sister along with her parents. Fleur even kissed Ron on the last day of school, before returning to France. When everyone was applauding Harry's and Cedric 's return, Gabrielle realised that Cedric was actually dead and clapped a hand to her mouth in horror.
- "Gabrielle was Fleur in miniature; eleven years old, with waist-length hair of pure, silvery blonde, she gave Mrs Weasley a dazzling smile and hugged her, then threw Harry a glowing look, batting her eyelashes"
- —Gabrielle flirting with Harry Potter[src]
Gabrielle was chosen as a bridesmaid for her older sister when she attended Fleur's wedding to Bill Weasley at the Burrow in the summer of 1997, when she was eleven years old. When the Delacours first arrived, Gabrielle shot a "glowing look" at Harry and batted her eyelashes, possibly indicating that she had a crush on her former saviour. Ginny Weasley, Fleur's other bridesmaid, cleared her throat loudly at this. Gabrielle then assisted Fleur with wedding preparations, speaking rapidly in French as she went, and participated in the ceremony wearing a golden dress and looking "even prettier than usual".
Gabrielle is the French feminine of the Hebrew name Gabriel, which was the name of a prominent angel in the Bible.
Behind the scenes
- In film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Gabrielle, at 8 years-old, is already attending Beauxbatons Academy of Magic based upon her attire. This means that she is 11 years-old at the Wedding of William Weasley and Fleur Delacour, but looks much older. Alternately, it is possible Gabrielle is older in the films than in the books, in the same way that Romilda Vane is two years older in film continuity.
- Gabrielle is portrayed by Angelica Mandy in the film adaptations of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Also, in the novel of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, she says goodbye to Ron and gives him a kiss on the cheek. In the film adaptation, she does not say goodbye to Ron.
- In the film adaptation, she is seen doing backflips down the aisle. We later see her sitting next to her sister looking at the cup (see picture)
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, it is confirmed that Gabrielle already has a wand at age 8 and that she can perform magic of the level of a fourth year Hogwarts student. This seems to support the theory that Beauxbatons students start at a younger age then Hogwarts students.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter for Kinect
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (concept artwork)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 She has to be 11 years old at least 2 days before Bill & Fleur's wedding on 1 August 1997: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 6 (The Ghoul in Pyjamas) - "“I dunno why the Delacours have got to come two days before the wedding.”" ... “And, of course, you ’ave met my leetle daughter, Gabrielle!” said Monsieur Delacour. Gabrielle was Fleur in miniature; eleven years old...
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 6 (The Ghoul in Pyjamas) - "Gabrielle was Fleur in miniature; eleven years old, with waist-length hair of pure, silvery blonde"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Times Online: The unwritten story of Harry's friends and their children
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ Angelica Mandy to reprise Gabrielle Delacour role for Deathly Hallows