At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World. Spoilers will be present within the article.
The Fwooper is a magical African bird with brightly-coloured feathers, which can include orange, pink, lime green and yellow. Listening to the Fwooper's high pitched, twittering song will drive the listener insane, so each bird must be sold with a Silencing Charm placed on it. The Charm has to be reinforced monthly, and a licence is required to own one of the birds.
Uric the Oddball once tried to convince the Wizards' Council that the Fwooper song was actually beneficial to a Wizard's health, and listened to it continuously for three months. His presentation did not go well, when he turned up wearing nothing but a toupee that, on closer examination, was revealed to be a dead badger.
Behind the scenes
- The Fwooper is also the mascot of a Harry Potter-based animal rights group called the Fwooper Foundation. The organisation uses the Harry Potter series to compare how magical creatures (like Pygmy Puffs) in the Wizarding World and creatures in the muggle world (such as cats and dogs) are treated. The ancient rune Fwooper represents the number four, so they focus on four ways animals in the muggle world are used and exploited: animals used for food, used in entertainment, used for clothing, and used for companionship. The group's slogan is "Breaking the Silencing Charm."
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World
- LEGO Harry Potter
- J. K. Rowling's Official Site
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (First appearance)
Notes and references
|Professor: Bathsheda Babbling|
|Textbooks: Advanced Rune Translation · Ancient Runes Made Easy · Magical Hieroglyphs and Logograms · Rune Dictionary · Spellman's Syllabary|
|Known Runes: Acromantula · Demiguise · Ehwaz · Eihwaz · Fwooper · Graphorn · Hydra · Quintaped · Runespoor · Salamander · Unicorn · Unknown · Mark of Merlin|
|Magical Creatures by classification|