At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
- " Petrificus Totalus, or the Full Body-Bind, stiffens a person’s limbs so they cannot move. Only the person’s eyes are free while the spell is in effect."
The Full Body-Bind Curse, also known as the Body Freezing Spell (Petrificus Totalus) is a curse that paralyses the opponent. It is often used by inexperienced or young wizards in duelling. This curse can be found in Curses and Counter-Curses by Vindictus Viridian.
The victim's arms and legs snap together, and he/she will fall down, stiff as a board. However the person's skills to hear, see (however just straight forward), feel, and think still work properly.
- "Neville's arms snapped to his sides. His legs sprang together. His whole body rigid, he swayed where he stood and then fell flat on his face, stiff as a board. Neville's jaws were jammed together so he couldn't speak. Only his eyes were moving, looking at them in horror."
- —Description of Neville Longbottom under the curse[src]
- The root of this curse's incantation seems to be the Latin words petra, "rock", and totus, "whole" or "entire".
- Also, pertrificus seems to come from the word "petrify", meaning to turn into stone, or describes a manner in which someone takes on the characteristics of a stone. Totalus likely comes from "Total", meaning complete or wholly. Following this, the spell likely means, entirely petrify.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the Cast-a-Spell training room, when the spell is cast it seems to coat the victim (a snake) in ice.
- When Dumbledore immobilises Harry, the latter says, in wondering how it could have happened, that it was a Freezing Charm (Dumbledore had done so wandlessly and nonverbally). However, less than a few pages later, after Dumbledore is killed, he notes that the Full Body-Bind had lifted.
- In the films and video games, this spell occasionally appears blue, white or purple.
- When Hermione uses this on Neville a mist-like effect issued from her wand and there was a faint white flash around his body before the curse took effect.
- The only instances in the films where a victim's arms and legs are snapped together as depicted in the books is when Hermione used it on Neville in Philosopher's Stone, when Draco used it against Harry on the train in Half-Blood Prince, and Newt's use of this spell on Mr Bingley in Fantastic Beasts; any other time it was used, such as when Neville used it on a Death Eater in Order of the Phoenix and when Hermione used it on Antonin Dolohov in Deathly Hallows, they were either immobilised in their current position, or they were spread eagled.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (Non-canonical appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS version)
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Warner Bros. Harry Potter Official Site
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault (unnamed)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Cast-a-Spell kit found in the Library section of the Harry Potter Official Site
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
|Spells included in the book: Full Body-Bind Curse · Leg-Locker Curse · Jelly-Legs Curse · Pimple Jinx · Stickfast Hex · Tickling Hex · Tongue-Tying Curse · Hair Loss Curse|