|Full Body-Bind Curse|
Point wand at target
Renders a victim immobile
- "The "Body Freezing" spell proves quite popular among new students of magic and those given to frequent participation in Wizard duels."
The Full Body-Bind Curse, also known as the Body Freezing Spell , (Petrificus Totalus) is a spell that renders a victim completely immobile. This curse is chiefly used to control and limit another individual's power of bodily freedom, and is often employed in defensive combat. The victim's arms and legs snap together, and he or she will generally fall down from lack of balance. Two known counter-curses include Finite or Finite Incantatem.
The Full Body-Bind Curse is fundamentally different from petrification, which is highly Dark magic and which cannot be reversed by a simple counter-curse, though the symptoms are superficially similar. A major difference is that under the Body-Bind Curse the victim remains conscious and aware of his/her surroundings, as opposed to petrification which appears to render the victim comatose.
- The root of this curse's incantation seems to be the Latin words petra, "rock", and totus, "whole" or "entire".
- Also, pertrificus seems to come from the word "petrify", meaning to turn into stone, or describes a manner in which someone takes on the characteristics of a stone. Totalus likely comes from "Total", meaning complete or wholey. Following this, the spell likely means, entirely petrify.
Behind the Scenes
- In the Cast-a-Spell training room, when the spell is cast it seems to coat the victim (a snake) in ice.
- When Dumbledore immobilizes Harry, the latter says, in wondering how it could have happened, that it was a Freezing Charm (Dumbledore had done so wandlessly and nonverbally). However, less than a few pages later, after Dumbledore is killed, he notes that the Full Body-Bind had lifted.
- In Pottermore, the wand movement is shown as thus:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (PS1 version)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS version)
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Warner Bros. Harry Potter Official Site
Notes and references
|Spells included in the book: Full Body-Bind Curse · Leg-Locker Curse · Jelly-Legs Curse · Pimple Jinx · Stickfast Hex · Tickling Hex · Tongue-Tying Curse · Hair Loss Curse|