Fridwulfa was a giantess and the mother of the Half-giant Rubeus Hagrid, and the giant Grawp. In 1928, Fridwulfa bore a child with Mr. Hagrid, but deserted him and her son, Rubeus, when he was three years old. She returned to the Giants, and bore another child, Grawp, by another giant. She died years before the events of the Second Wizarding War.
The reason she deserted Rubeus was because he was "small" in size, and Giants prefer to produce large-sized children. The same disappointment went to her second son, Grawp. For her desertion, Mr. Hagrid was heartbroken and Rubeus didn't remember her much except for not being a great mother.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
Behind the scenes
- As she has married into the Hagrid family, it stands to reason that she would adopt the family name, thus her full name might be Fridwulfa Hagrid.
- In 1995, when Rita Skeeter published an article on Hagrid's half-giant ancestry, she mentioned Fridwulfa by name. How she got the giantess' name is unknown.