|"Are you a wizard or not?"
The title of this article is conjectural. Although it is based on canonical information, the actual name is a conjecture and may be supplanted at any time by additional information released from canonical sources. If this occurs, please move this page to the appropriate title.
|"I show not your face but your heart's desire."|
Mr Longbottom was born sometime before 1947 into the Longbottom family, an old British pure-blood family, considered to be one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. He had one known sibling, a brother, Algie, and may have had others.
He died sometime between 1980 and 1995. His grandson, Neville, witnessed his death, thus enabling the boy to see Thestrals at a young age. Neville revealed as much to Hagrid and Dolores Umbridge during her time evaluating a Care of Magical Creatures lesson.
Behind the scenes
- Neville states in The Queen's Handbag that, in 1947, his "granddad" put a fanged gerbil into Augusta's handbag as a joke, prompting her to keep a mousetrap in her bag at all times thereafter. It is likely that this refers to Mr Longbottom, rather than to Neville's maternal grandfather, i.e. Alice Longbottom's father.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- The Queen's Handbag (Possible mention)
- LEGO Dimensions (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 In The Queen's Handbag, Neville says he had a grandfather who put a fanged gerbil in his grandmother's handbag in 1947. If he is the husband of Augusta, then he would have been born before 1947.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 21 (The Eye of the Snake)
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Pure-Blood" at Pottermore
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Quill of Acceptance and The Book of Admittance" at Pottermore on Pottermore states that Neville had "disappointed great aunts and uncles." Algie and Enid are Neville's only known great-aunt and great-uncle. Thus, Neville must have had at least one other great-aunt and one other great-uncle in addition to them, who could potentially be unknown siblings of Mr Longbottom and Algie.