France is a country in Western Europe, though it also has territories in other parts of the world. France is bordered by Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Andorra, and Spain. It is the location of Beauxbatons Academy of Magic. Its capital is Paris, an important Muggle city famous for its fashion, art, history, and cuisine. France is the most visited country in the world.
Quidditch had spread to France by the 1400s, as shown by references to it in the play Hélas, Je me suis Transfiguré Les Pieds by Malecrit. France has a national Quidditch stadium and a national Quidditch team with mostly female players. One of the French Quidditch teams is the Quiberon Quafflepunchers.
During the summer of 1995, when Rubeus Hagrid and Olympe Maxime went to parlay with the giants, they pretended that they were going on holiday in France to throw off the Ministry official that was tracking them.
Known magical residents
- Pierre Bonaccord — the first Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards
- Apolline Delacour — a half-Veela witch, married to Monsieur Delacour
- Fleur Delacour — a part-Veela witch who participated in the 1994 Triwizard Tournament; she moved to England in 1995 and married William Weasley in Summer 1997
- Gabrielle Delacour — a quarter-Veela witch, Fleur's little sister
- Monsieur Delacour — a wizard married to Apolline Delacour
- Delacour sisters' cousins — two Veelas who attended Fleur's wedding to Bill Weasley in the summer of 1997
- Apolline Delacour's mother — a Veela
- Malecrit — a wizard and playwright of the early 1400s
- Olympe Maxime — headmistress of the Beauxbatons Academy of Magic
- Lisette de Lapin — a 15th-century witch convicted of witchcraft by Muggles
- Luc Millefeuille — wizard pâtissier who became famous for poisoning Muggles.
- Nicolas Flamel — well-known alchemist and only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone.
- Perenelle Flamel — wife of famous philosopher and alchemist, Nicolas Flamel.
- Vincent Duc de Trefle-Picques — wizard and nobleman who managed to escape the Reign of Terror by casting a Concealment Charm on his neck and pretending that his head had already been cut off.
- Chateau Cos d'Estourel
Behind the scenes
- Emma Watson, the British actress who portrays Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films, was born in Paris, France.
- Clémence Poésy, who portrays Fleur Delacour in the film adaptations of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is a French actress.
- Arben Bajraktaraj, who portrays Antonin Dolohov in the film adaptations of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is a French actor.
- Alexandre Desplat, who composed the soundtrack for both parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is a French composer.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Appears in portrait(s))