I know I'm not the first to notice this, but some users have gone overboard on the bestowal of skills upon our characters. For example, last night I had to revert a user who tried to say that Fenrir Greyback was a "Master Duellist," when the text clearly shows that Greyback prefers to fight with his strength and brawn. Other examples that are more debatable: the designation of Harry Potter as a "Master Duellist," he certainly has skills, and bested many older and more experienced wizards, but "Master" is a stretch; the 23 skill list for Tom Riddle, many are redundant and some are quite questionable, such as "Lightning Spells."
- I think we need to come up with some criteria as to how to designate skill levels to characters and what is and is not germane to the list of a character's skills. --JKoch(Owl Me!) 19:40, January 7, 2011 (UTC)
- I think we should discontinue the use of descriptors such as "master" or "expert" unless the character is refered to as such in the text. I mean who are we to say who's a master and who's an expert? Jayden Matthews 19:51, January 7, 2011 (UTC)
- Are there references in the books or movies to the words "master" or "expert" being used to describe people? Oh, and while we are on the subject of skills, I just noticed on Harry's page, someone put "non-verbal magic", I thought he never fully mastered non-verbal magic, and they put that "On the morning of his 17th birthday when the Trace broke, Harry preformed several spells just for the fun of it and it wasn't mentioned that he said an incantation.", In the books he clearly uses an incantation. --BachLynn(Accio!) 20:03, January 7, 2011 (UTC)
- I agree. Unless the terms "Master" or "Expert" are used in canon, applying such descriptors violates the NPOV policy. - Nick O'Demus 01:40, January 9, 2011 (UTC)
- At the rate things are going, it's only a matter of time before someone adds "Allergy mastery" to any character who sneezes. Unless there are any objections, I'm going to get started on this with most of the major characters sometime this week. - Nick O'Demus 09:22, April 20, 2011 (UTC)
I agree. we badly need to write a policy on the Magical abilities. I have adressed this before (see Forum: magical abilities and skills)--Rodolphus 09:34, April 20, 2011 (UTC)