Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
OK, this is going to seem like a very radical proposal to some, and, maybe it is. Basically, I'm proposing a change to the Wiki's skin. For sometime now, I've been struggling to see what our current skin has to do with Harry Potter. No disrespect to those who worked on it. It just seems like a rather random combination of colors. A comination that doesn't seem to relate to the subject this Wiki is dedicated to. It was in this frame of mind that I designed this. I've adopted the color scheme that has been used to represent the Harry Potter film series since David Yates took the helm. I think it's appropriate. The colors compliment each other quite well, and tie in nicely with our chosen subject. I'm not going to ask the community to vote straight away. I would like to garner some opinion on my design first. If the community's reaction is universially negative - I will drop the subject straight away. If, however, this is something people are interested in - I wil ask the Administrators to open a formal vote, and let the community decide for themselves. Please be aware, however, - if a formal vote is held - the community will have choice to keep the logo we are currently using, or adopt the one I included in my proposal. Well, that's pretty much it. Thank you for listening. Jayden Matthews 11:30, November 30, 2009 (UTC)
- I've already looked over the design and given suggestions to Jayden and agree that it is a sound proposal. The original colours, I believe, were meant to be Gryffindor colours, but it was a while ago now so my memory is a little fuzzy on the issue :P
- I'm more than willing to open a formal vote, but I'd like to keep the forum open for discussion to allow input on the new design for a small time so that the community has its say.
- As for the logo, I would be very much for keeping the current one since it is our identifying mark across Wikia. That said, if any image specialists want to take a crack at changing the logo to conform with the proposed new colour scheme, be my guest and upload your effort. - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 12:24, November 30, 2009 (UTC)
- I agree. And I love the design Jayden has come up with. I was one of the users who helped design the current skin (I created the Background strip and header bar). At the time I was under the impression that the theme for the site was going to be the Department of Mysteries, but apparently, I was alone in that beleif. Jayden is right, though. The current skin is very chaotic, and has no consistent theme to it. I fully support the proposal. As for the logo, I'm not so sure. I think the one with the proposed skin would look better. On the other our current one identifies us as the Harry Potter Wiki. –K.A.J•T•C•E• 11:11, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
I agree with all of the above, and as I have already informed Jayden, I strongly support the skin change in its entirety. Not only is it visually appealing, it ties in with the scheme of the more recent Harry Potter films. Like Starstuff, I'm not really on either side of the fence when it comes to the logo - whatever makes the rest of the community happy is fine with me!--Yin & YangTalk to me! 14:01, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
- I really appreciate the supportive comments that have been left on this forum. The logo I came up with was merely a matter of simplicity, because I couldn't think of anything else. The backround strip I made does have quite alot going on in it, however, waves, rock, sea and sky etc, so maybe a simpler logo would look better. It also has the advantage of 3-D lettering. Jayden Matthews 14:22, December 5, 2009 (UTC)
I agree the new one does suit the site more and also the 3d lettering of the new logo makes it more ppealing and I think if we used the current logo with the new colour scheme it may look wierd. --Miniwally(Owl me!) 01:09, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
I think this is a great skin and this should be used its got a great logo and great skin i like it a lot. Lord-Voldemort 12:15, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
Any suggstions for improvement? Jayden Matthews 12:55, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
I don't mean to sound hypocritical to what I said earlier, but now that I've really thought about it, could I suggest a small change? I think the colour of the... I'm not sure what to call them actually! You know, the currently maroon headers (or banners where the "edit page" and "history" icons are) that appear on your design as blue-green; I think that maybe a darker shade of blue is necessary, just to break the monotony of that light blue-green colour of the background. Only a suggestion. As for the logo, I really like yours considerably more than the current one used.--Yin & YangTalk to me! 13:15, December 6, 2009 (UTC)Jayden Matthews 13:26, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
The 3-D main page headers look spectacular! I really recommend using those (if you can finish them). As for the blue colour, I quite like the one depicted in the top-middle square of the title image on wikipedia. What do you think?--Yin & YangTalk to me! 14:37, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
It's a nice enough color, but I think it might clash with the rest of the scheme. We can always try it and see if it works. Also, I know it's late in the day to be doing this, but I've just started working on a second skin proposal. More out of boredom than actuall conviction. I just realised that the inconsiderate fimakers have changed the color scheme of Deathly Hallows to a dark navy blue gray theme. I'll see if I can come up with something that matches. It might be nice to have another option anyway. Jayden Matthews 17:28, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
That's alright. I'm not to keen on it either. I'm using Gimp2 as my image editing program, and, it's not very advanced. Someone with photoshop may wish to have a go. Jayden Matthews 18:02, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
Did you make the text style yourself or is it a downloaded one off of internet because I've only got a downloaded one and doubt I could make one myself and I think your text looks better. Also what colour are you using?--Miniwally(Owl me!) 18:32, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
I made the text myself, and I used the basic cyan color on Gimp. I think I will have to reneage on my plan to make a Deathly Hallows themed skin. The one we are discussing now took me long enough, and I don't think I can face starting again from scratch. Jayden Matthews 19:36, December 6, 2009 (UTC)
- Can I just make a suggestion? I think the page is a little monotone right now, although the colour is certainly bright. Maybe a darker colour for the headers would be better. QuidditchLover(My talk)(contribs)
I would have to say that I oppose this. Even though it is true green, the favorite shade of my favorite color, I hate an all-one color thing, and is is infact Aqua or Turqoise. TurboGolf 21:48, December 7, 2009 (UTC)
That's fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion. It's been over a week now, and there has been mixed views on the matter. Shall we vote on it? We can deal with the small issues afterwards. Jayden Matthews 08:13, December 8, 2009 (UTC)
I have just come back and scanned though the comments. My opinion on the skin change is a defendant YES. I don't care if it was the sample above. It just needs to follow the theme of Harry Potter better that It is now. --Profiteor 23:14, December 8, 2009 (UTC)
Vote to change the Wiki's skin
Okay, the discussion has been live for a while, so it is time for the formal vote.