Hi everyone, I've basically made this thread to have a rant about the way Hogwarts Castle has been changed so much over the course of the film series, but also to talk about the new design seen in the trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II.The new Hogwarts is shown here:Prisoner of Azkaban to Order of the Phoenix:
As you can see, what seems to be the Viaduct has become much longer and comes completely infront of the castle. We don't know if this is maybe just a mistake as they could be still editing, but it really made me extremely mad to see it. Why can't they just keep Hogwarts the same as it was, at lest from Half-Blood Prince when they added the Astronomy Tower. I really don't see what was the problem with the castle they came up with in Philosopher's Stone.
Hopefully someone else on here is as mad as I am. Anyone?
Joeworthy 15:36, June 8, 2010 (UTC)
- I don't think it's a new Hogwarts. I can see what you mean, but i think, it's another view; another viaduct
- I agree. This is driving me mad too... It noticed it the first time I saw the trailer, but I hope it will be OK in the final movie. I can understand some changes, but the viaduct and the main tower have stayed there for 10 years, why can't they put them in the final chapter?--El Profeta Vespertino 13:35, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- I agree that it is stupid to keep changing Hogwarts. But, think about it: In DH, Harry is 'killed' by Voldemort in the forest. He is then taken to the school, where a fight takes place, and then the dual in the Great Hall. Currently, the only way from the forest to the school is via the clocktower bridge - which is nowhere near the great hall. The 'new viaduct' bridge is probably a link between the entrance cortyard and the grounds, thus allowing Harry to be taken the the Entance Hall where he can escape and then kill Voldemort. 188.8.131.52 14:43, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- I understand that it maybe beacuse there is no way to connect the Great Hall with the Forbidden Forest, and that this would sort it out.
- However, they never bothered to change the castle because of parts of the book before. Just think about Half-Blood Prince: Harry leaves the Gryffindor Tower after taking the Veritaserum and says he's going to "Hagrids". He then makes his way down to the Greenhouses on the complete opposite side of the catle before then going back to Hagrid's Hut when they would have had to go back through the Clock Tower and over the Covered Bridge!!! This completely makes no sense, but no-one has ever complained about it.
- Therefore, I'm sure nobody would have mind just seeing everyone walking back through the forest and then we cut to them walk through the Entrance Courtyard and into the Great Hall. I know I would much rather see that than them having to completely redesign Hogwarts ONCE AGAIN!!!
- Also, I don't actually think that this is the old Viaduct being moved, I think it's just a new one coming out from outside the Viaduct Entrance and then going onto the cliff. The old one is hopefully still there. PHEW!
- Does anyone else think I'm going into this in a bit to much deatil?? It just makes me REALLY MAD!!!
- Joeworthy 15:27, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- It makes me mad too, but I agree that they are changing the Viaduct to connect the entrance hall with the forest. However, in the sixth film, we can see Snape leaving the castle and walking across the Great Hall (he had come from the Astronomy Tower). So, don't worry. ;)
- --El Profeta Vespertino 15:44, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- Does anybody know who has changed the Hogwarts Castle -> Behind the Scenes -> Deathly Hallows section. It says: " The Entrance Courtyard has been enlarged. This was likely done by renovating the Transfiguration Courtyard from Half Blood Prince. It is likely the designers removed the Astronomy Tower Base and inserted the Great Hall entrance. The Central Tower has been shortened. The boat house now has a new design". Does anybody know where the info comes from?
- --El Profeta Vespertino 15:44, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- I don't have a clue where this info comes from and it all makes no sense what so ever to me. Especially the part about the Transfiguration Courtyard and Astronomy Tower. It was added by an Unredistered Contributer (184.108.40.206) and so I guess we can safely say that it has been made up.
- In this image, on the right, we can see the Astronomy Tower (the tallest one); the Central Tower (the big point just in front of it); the two Bell Towers (the two next to each other at the back); what presumably is the Training Grounds Tower (the shortest one at the back); and the round tower to the right of the Viaduct Entrance. So, these Towers all seem to be in their correct locations from where we ended in Half-Blood Prince, along with the Grand Staircase Tower, Great Hall and Boathouse.
- Thank God none of these have been changed as I literally would have SCREAMED.
- Joeworthy 16:13, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- By the way, I think they have changed the little circular building near the Entrance Courtyard and the Great Hall (I think it is too far away from the courtyard). This could mean that they have changed the courtyard as well... ( I'm sorry ;) ). Am I right?
- --El Profeta Vespertino 23:30, June 9, 2010 (UTC)
- Oh yeah, I didn't notice that. It's definitely changed from when it was in Order of the Phoenix. I guess that could mean that the area outside the Great Hall including the Entrance Courtyard has been changed.
- I wish they could have given us an image of Hogwarts without all the fire around it, and then we'd be able to see what they've actually done. But, I guess we've got to wait another year and 5 days before its all clear (unless they show it in another trailer).
- Joeworthy 19:43, June 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Just thought I'd add on here a couple more of the changes which have been noticed. The window pattern on the side of the Great Hall have been changed; on the right tower next to the Viaduct Entrance, the turret has been made taller; the area between the Central Tower and Bell Towers (where the Transfiguration Courtyard is) seems to have just dissappeared; and the Bell Towers seem to be lower than they were.
- Has anyone else noticed anything?
- Joeworthy 08:55, June 12, 2010 (UTC)
Also, does anyone know which is the courtyard in this picture (on the left) and which tower is this (on the right)? They could be the renovated Entrance Courtyard and the Astronomy/Central Towers, or a completely new tower--El Profeta Vespertino 21:34, June 27, 2010 (UTC)
- Now, these new images have really made me mad, however I guess we're going to have to live with it. We can now see that the Viaduct has most definitely been moved to at the end of the Entrance Courtyard. I hope that the film-makers have an exteremly good and reasonable explaination for why they felt this was unavoidable; or they could just really not care about the continuity of the series and only care that they think it looks good - but that's a totally different subject altogether.
- However, it looks as if the Viaduct Entrance is still going to be visible, and so maybe we can hope that our old Viaduct will not have been altered and the new one is a completely different one altogether. So, I'm going to make a new article separating the two of them (if I have no objections, of course).
- Another bit I'm concerned about is the area in the middle of the picture: in between the Grand Staircase Tower and Viaduct Entrance. This has definitely changed at least a small ammount since we last saw it as the towers seem to have got taller.
- About the courtyard in the "fire" photo, I really have no idea where it could be! My initial thought was the Entrance Courtyard, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
- Anyway, we all lived through the massive re-desing of Prisoner of Azkaban and we can't stop them from doing anything else as they have now finished filming and ultimately made up their minds.
- Sorry about giving another lecture about this! Joeworthy 15:55, June 28, 2010 (UTC)
- ENTRANCE COURTYARD: It has been enlarged. Also, an archway opposite to the Entrance Hall doors connects it to the New Viaduct and the floor has been modified. It is unknown whether it is still linked with the Viaduct Entrance by the Old Viaduct or the two Viaducts are the same. Possible reasons: They wanted a bigger courtyard to film the Battle of Hogwarts scenes.
- VIADUCT ENTRANCE: The four towers around it have been made bigger. It is unknown whether it is still linked with the Entrance Courtyard by the Old Viaduct or the two Viaducts are the same. Possible reasons: There is no reason for them to do this, just like the Training Grounds Tower change in Half-Blood Prince.
- PAVED COURTYARD: One of the towers around the courtyard (the one connected to the Stone Bridge) has been enlarged. A new 'brige' or something similar has been added to the tower, connecting it to a completely new little tower. Possible reasons: The scene on the right could be located there.
- BOATHOUSE: It has a new design. I don't know how the Unredistered Contributer (220.127.116.11) managed to predict it when he/she added it to the Hogwarts Castle page weeks ago. Possible reasons: Unknown.
- HOGWARTS TOWERS: The Astronomy Tower is still there, the Bell Towers too. It seems that the Central Tower has been modified, but I am not sure. Possible reasons: Unknown.
- NEW VIADUCT: It has been created. An archway connects it to the Entrance Courtyard, opposite to the Entrance Hall doors. Possible reasons: The film-makers wanted to connect the Entrance Courtyard to the Forbidden Forest to film Harry's death. We found this picture on the right of the set months ago but we didn't know that it actually was the New Viaduct. It is supposed that some scenes will be located there as the set was built.
- OTHER BUILDINGS: It is unknown which other locatations will appear, but it seems that the Covered Bridge entrance will make an appearance, as the set was shown (see picture on the right). Possible reasons: Voldemort's entrance to Hogwarts or a different Battle of Hogwarts scene.
--El Profeta Vespertino 12:13, June 29, 2010 (UTC)
- I think you guys are getting way too worked up about this. They are minor details from the movie set. None of the general public will mind these subtle changes. And, didn't JKR once say she thought the rooms in the castle shifted a little? That was her cover up for her inconsistencies from rooms changing from one floor to the next. Come on, it's Hollywood... It's Magic... Of course it is going to be flawed. It is not a really building, it is not going to stay put. Sorry, but I needed to rant a little bit. 18.104.22.168 03:41, June 30, 2010 (UTC)
- Sorry about this, but here we go again! WB have just released their first promotional poster for the final movies here:
- Here we can see that the Viaduct (I) is in its exact location from the previous movies and there is no sign of the new one. Do we think its just another mistake?
- Also, we can see that they've decided to burn down the Headmaster's office whcih would mean the trio wouldn't be able to go and speak to Dumbledore after the Battle
- Joeworthy 08:31, July 3, 2010 (UTC)
- Firstly, I think this is not footage from the final film and is just a promotional image with the beta Hogwarts that has nothing to do with the Hogwarts we will see in The Deathly Hallows. Secondly, I don´t think the trio wouldn't be able to go to speak to the Headmaster's office; I really think the filmmakers won't care about the burning of the tower and will put the scene.
- I was also wondering where is the boathouse, as we can see in this image. If you watch closely at the staircase, it seems to be divided into two and we can't see it in the promotional image. But don't worry as it appeared redesigned in the trailer.
- El Profeta Vespertino 14:16, July 3, 2010 (UTC)
Although it is driving me mad too i know the answer. during the shooting there was an entirior scene of hogwartrs catching fire. during the take the set caught on fire. so they decided on making a new set
Well I made a possible layout for the new viaduct. I'm really mad about this maybe it's too early to judge their decision. We still have more or less 6 months till part 2 arrives. Well, it's just sad...
Here's the Layout.(Sorry for poor representation)
I think the new viaduct is an extention of the old one. It seems to reach the right viaduct tower, then turns left to the viaduct enterance and straight to the forest. The pictures of the explosions on the viaduct from the trailer seem to show this. Anyone agree? Hschweinlin: LUMOS! 00:22, February 26, 2011 (UTC)