Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
For the last few weeks, I have been mulling over an idea to create a spin-off wiki that would cater to the fandom aspect of the Harry Potter community. Like the Star Wars Fanpedia, the new wiki would include articles on high-profile fan projects and sites, and allow them to have a greater latitude in article creation than we currently allow here. As a first step if we create the wiki, many of our fandom-related articles would be imported over to the new site. The administrators would initially be those administrators from this wiki that wish to help set up such an endeavour, although I intend for the admin team to eventually be comprised of any proficient and active editors who contribute to the new site. Thoughts and ideas? - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 09:23, July 12, 2011 (UTC)
- I'd support this, but what about those instances where JKR has had some involvement, such as the Lexicon lawsuit, the foreword of Harry, A History, or PotterCast interviews? - Nick O'Demus 21:37, August 2, 2011 (UTC)
If you think you can get away from any lawsuit and such, then why not? People can express their imaginations in this fanpedia. Yatanogarasu 07:32, August 8, 2011 (UTC)
- Nick; such instances that you cite could remain on this wiki as they would be useful to our canon articles, but they could also be imported over to the new fan wiki and expanded as needed. Any article, such as the PotterCast interview which revealed new canon info, would, of course, remain as a source. I'm thinking more along the lines of transferring all the Wrock band and other fandom articles over to the new wiki, which would then allow the users to write bigger articles than we currently allow. A Very Potter Musical, for instance, would be allowed to have an article. They would then be removed from this wiki. As for administrators on the wiki, I and any other current admins who want the responsibility would handle the set up, but I envision promoting active users to oversee the day to day running of the wiki if it takes off.
- Yatanogarasu; This would not be a fan fiction wiki. There are already several on Wikia that handle that. This wiki would be used to document fandom products such as Wizard Rock bands and fan productions. - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 07:51, August 8, 2011 (UTC)
- I think it's a great idea to make a fan wiki. I've always wondered - when do you cross the line? There is an article called "Potter Puppet Pals" and articles for every wrock band, but neither one called "A Very Potter Musical" nor "A Very Potter Sequel". There is an article called "Neil Cicierega" (inventor of Potter Puppet Pals), but no article called "Nick Lang" (director of AVPM and S). On the other hand - on the fandom wiki, should there be an article called Harry Potter? If so, Harry would have been portrayed by Neil Cicierega (PPP), Darren Criss (AVPM), the DeGeorge brothers (HatP), etc. etc. There wouldn't be and article called "Gilderoy Lockhart", but one called "Dolores Umbridge" - since Lockhart, as far as I know, hasn't been in a fan production, but Umbridge has? Or what? I would support a fan wiki, but it would be difficult to know if something ought to be on this wiki or the fan wiki, or both. --ƃuıuɹoɥʇ(Send me an owl) 10:15, August 8, 2011 (UTC)
- We've had very loose notability for fandom projects for a long time now, and they need to be either tightened or loosened. This way, we tighten our notability requirements, but still retain the info. Individuals that would not deserve an article on this wiki would on the other. As for a "Harry Potter" article; I see no reason why not. It wouldn't be a detailed rendering like ours, but more of a tribute to the various fan/spoof performances over the years. - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 11:17, August 8, 2011 (UTC)
I like the idea of a Fan Wiki for all those fans who now have no chance, because there "informations" are not canon. Two questions: Shall the both Wikis are connected or linked to one another? How can the fans find this new Wiki? When "Out of universe"-articles are to be found on the other Wiki, that could also be interesting for the Now-Wiki-User. Harry granger 18:18, August 8, 2011 (UTC)
- The Fan Wiki will be an official "sister wiki" for us. All fandom related articles will be systemically transferred over to the new wiki, and any new articles that are added here will be transferred as well. Not all OOU articles will be transferred - actor pages and the like will remain here. Articles like Wrock bands, Potter Puppet Pals and the like will be shifted over, and the articles can be expanded as much as possible to better showcase the projects. If there are no objections, I'll be looking to create the new wiki in the next few days. - Cavalier One(Wizarding Wireless Network) 08:12, September 1, 2011 (UTC)
The fandom articles aren't such a severe problem that they can't be reined in through other means. Exporting them to another wiki, in my humble opinion, would only create a lot of unnecessary and time-consuming work. Personally, I'd prefer to keep everything under one roof, because it makes it a lot easier to keep track of stuff. Not to mention that interlinking articles would become more difficult with everything split between two different wikis.
I think the solution is to create a notability policy with clearly-defined criteria for inclusion. Wrock bands would only warrant separate articles if they've recorded albums and toured widely (e.g. Harry and the Potters, Draco and the Malfoys, The Remus Lupins). Those that did not meet these criteria would be deleted or merged into "List of wrock bands." Parodies would warrant separate articles if they've been commercially released (e.g. Mad Magazine and Barry Trotter) or are of widespread, lasting popularity in fandom (e.g. Potter Puppet Pals and A Very Potter Musical). ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 21:12, September 4, 2011 (UTC)