Wikia

Harry Potter Wiki

Broken Templates

11,620pages on
this wiki

Forum page

Forums: Index > The Wizengamot archive > Broken Templates


I've noticed that Template:Expand and Template:Protected seem to have suddenly stopped working. They look fine on the template pages, but when placed in articles, they appear only as the raw template code (see Ravenclaw Quidditch team for a current example). I have no idea why this has happened or what can be done to remedy it. Starstuff (Owl me!) 03:55, 14 August 2009 (UTC)

Also, Template:Comment is now automatically rendering on a new line, when previously it could render on the same line as text if placed directly beside it (see the "Appearance" section of Luca Books for a current example). Starstuff (Owl me!) 04:11, 14 August 2009 (UTC)

This is odd. You can see here that using the exact same code it is working. Yet, when the software pulls the code from the template it errors. Grunny (Talk) 04:50, 14 August 2009 (UTC)

I've contacted Wikia staff about the issue, so it should be resolved soon :-). Grunny (Talk) 05:14, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
Thanks. I wondered if it had to do with a coding problem. Starstuff (Owl me!) 05:28, 14 August 2009 (UTC)

Expand and protected are broken because of a bad version of it is stuck in one of the caches. The code was fine in them. Fixed it (for now) by moving it to a new name. (new name = new hash = new clean cache file)

comment was fixed by changing how the inclusion is handled. in things like this, where newlines are critical, noinclude is your worst friend.

I'll make a note of this in the recent cache problems we've had the last few days. --Uberfuzzy@Wikia 10:27, 14 August 2009 (UTC)

Thanks for looking into this for us! :) Starstuff (Owl me!) 09:11, 15 August 2009 (UTC)


Huzzah! Its been found and fixed. sorry about all the trouble, and the mess when trying to find it. (btw, it wasnt just here, it was at many other wikis too) It wasnt the templates at all it turns out. It was a sideeffect of some new wikitext parser changes being done for a larger project thats being added, that was mucking up the parsing of those template, and it did it by pagename (it does something with a whole list of the most commonly used template names, i dont have details, i'm just the fixer, not product design :)), but it comes down to that those templates started with a table {|, which has to be the first thing on the line to work, and some new div being added prevented that tablecode from being turned into a table. The fix was to add an extra \n (a newline), but this caused template:fact to break. we've now got a solution in place that fixes both issues, and doesnt break either, yay! now that we know what to look for, should this cause any more problems, we can get them fixed much faster now. feel free to move those back to their original name (t:semiprotected2 -> t:semiprotected). sorry again for the mess we/i made in trying to hunt it down. it was a very complex strange bug indeed. --Uberfuzzy@Wikia 13:27, 17 August 2009 (UTC)

Around Wikia's network

Random Wiki