Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Population of Hogwarts
- Aproximatly 280 students. Not a big school at all!Dsutcliffe 13:23, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
- Assuming that there are 40 students in a year (10 in each house (5 boys and 5 girls)) and as there are seven years. Seven times forty equals two hundred and eighty. 280 students approx. ShirleyA(The Quibbler) 08:48, 9 July 2009 (UTC)
- Nick O'Demus 12:53, 9 July 2009 (UTC)
Hmmm...but why forty in each? Hagrid said hundreds of underage wizards...2 hundred is not normally reffered to as hundreds
- Numbers and dates never were JKR's strong point. Nick O'Demus 07:57, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
That's exactly what I thought. Lunalove 11:24, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
- JKR stated in an interview that there are around a thousand students at Hogwarts. The forty students in Harry's year probably don't represent the average. 1979 to 1981 was the height of the First War, so less children may have been born during that time, as people were too preoccupied with fighting or afraid of getting killed to start families/have more children. It is also possible that some children who would've been in Harry's year were murdered by Death Eaters. ★ Starstuff (Owl me!) 20:26, 10 July 2009 (UTC)
- Still, 40 is comparatively small to an average of 150 (which would make a total of 1000 students) and I can't imagine 1000 kids, plus the staff members, all fitting into the Great Hall and 250 fitting into each Common Room. The numbers might be slightly higher than 280, yes, but I can't see how thousands can fit into Hogwarts. Even if most Years had an average of 100 kids, the few years above and below Harry would be around 40 (because Voldemort terrorized for more than just one year). So that is like 100+100+40+40+40+100+100 which equals 520, which is a possible number (still how can each Professor teach so many kids? My gym teachers' see less than that a day, and gym is the largest class (and we have 1000 kids in our school, but they all don't fit in one cafeteria). Hmm, I agree the numbers need tweaking, and JKRowling overlooked how obsessive her fans would be with numbers. I guess we just have to assume the school has the ability to grow and shrink to fit its students' needs and that there are a lot of other professors we still haven't met. Maybe JKR can clear this one up for us with her Encyclopedia.... which I really hope doesn't have too many inconsistencies Dom829 02:15, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
This link is on the bottom of the Hogwarts page named "How many students are there at hogwarts?" http://hp-lexicon.org/essays/essay-hogwarts-how-many.html --Bongo2009 Talk 08:03, 11 August 2009 (UTC)