I once discussed it with Seth Cooper. but I think that this is something the whole community should discuss.
Wikipedia uses so-called age calculation templates, which automaticly calculate the age of characters when dates of birth are added and alternatively, the age at their death.
Currently, we add the (aged xxx) without any template. This may work better if we use the template. I don´t know if it is possible to include it into the custom preload program.
- The templates could be used if....
...we know both the birthdate and deathdate of an individual
...the birthdate is known and it is confirmed that the person is still alive, in which case it could calculate the age in 2014.
- Example: Harry Potter, age 34
- For characters whose life status is not known, we could either use an age as of template or an age if still alive template.
I think that there is even a way to automaticly add the calculation to our infobox templates, so we would not have to add the calculation to every single page.
If you want to know how it looks like:
Wikis that use this templates include Wikipedia and the German Wiki Aventurica.
What do the others think?
- I like the idea. It seems to be much simpler than now. 12:21, May 10, 2014 (UTC)
- I'd already expressed my reservations about the creation of this template, to Rodolphus.
- My main objections are the sheer ammount of work we'd have to do, to achieve basically the same thing we already have now (in the case of dead characters). Also, when it comes to living characters, I have my reservations about saying their current age: while most characters were alive the last time we heard about them, they may not be alive any more at the time we're in (i.e. who's to say, for example, Aberforth Dumbledore is still alive in 2014, even though he was alive at the end of the series?). The thing is, giving them their current age implies that we know that they are all still alive, even though we do not know that for sure. This will become especially evident in three year's time, after 2017, when we virtually know nothing about the characters. -- 13:01, May 11, 2014 (UTC)