Flying Instructor is the title given to the professor at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who teaches Flying Classes and referees Quidditch matches. They are in charge of teaching their subject to the students of Hogwarts in their first year, on the Training Grounds at the back of the Castle. The Instructor also has an office, which is located in a safe place where the school Quidditch crate can be stored. Rolanda Hooch held the post from at least the mid-1900s and was still teaching in 1997.
Madam Hooch taught the first years about basic broomstick flight and handling early on in the year, and greeted a Ravenclaw student she was familiar with, named Amanda. However, Neville Longbottom injured himself after losing control of his broom, and she was forced to take him to Madam Poppy Pomfrey in the Hospital wing. Following Hooch's departure with Longbottom, Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy quarrelled over a stolen Remembrall, resulting in the two using their brooms without supervision, and in direct contravention of madam Hooch's explicit instructions. One witness to the incident was Minerva McGonagall, Transfiguration Professor and the deputy headmistress.
It is believed that the students continued flying lessons throughout their first year, but Harry Potter did not have to, as he was selected for the Gryffindor Quidditch team and would practise with them. Hooch refereed the Quidditch match between Slytherin and Gryffindor, declaring that she wanted a clean game from all students playing. Later, the refereeing duty was taken over by Severus Snape for the Hufflepuff vs Gryffindor match.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup