Flying, also known as Broom Flight Class, is a subject taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It is taught by Madam Hooch to first-years only. The subject teaches students how to fly broomsticks. In some lessons, the use of enchanted rings was used to guide flight.
The approach of this class was heavily anticipated by students, who often told exaggerated tales of past flying achievements. Ron Weasley told anybody who'd listen how he hit a hanglider with Charlie's old broom.
During Harry Potter's first flying lesson, Madam Hooch had to leave the class unattended when Neville Longbottom crashed and fell from his broomstick. In her absence, Draco Malfoy discovered a Remembrall that Neville had dropped, and flew off with it when Harry demanded it back. Harry followed Malfoy on his broomstick, and although he had never flown before, he was able to control the broom with ease and managed to catch the Remembrall in a 50 foot dive when Malfoy threw it. Professor McGonagall witnessed the catch, and instead of punishing Harry for not staying on the ground as Madam Hooch had ordered, she offered him the place of Seeker in the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Fred and George Weasley noted that the Hogwarts brooms were not very good. The brooms did odd things such as fly too far to the left, and vibrate slightly when they were flown too high.
Behind the scenes
- Although this class was only taught to first-year students in the books, in some video games older students took the class. However, this could be because some students still had problems with flying on broom.
- In 1991, Harry Potter can be the first student to discover a secret room on Training Grounds since 1867. However, this is only present in the PC version of the Philosopher's Stone.
- The first book implies that flying class happens weekly for the first-years. However, only Harry's first lesson is described, and the class is never mentioned again. This could be because he showed his adeptness for flight in the very first class.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
Notes and references