Some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and, as such, spoilers will be present.
- "At three-thirty that afternoon, Harry, Ron, and the other Gryffindors hurried down the front steps onto the grounds for their first flying lesson. The Slytherins were already there, and so were twenty broomsticks lying in neat lines on the ground. "
- —Harry Potter's first flying lesson[src]
The approach of this class was heavily anticipated by students, who often told exaggerated tales of past flying achievements. Ron Weasley told anybody who'd listen how he hit a hanglider with Charlie's old broom.
During Harry Potter's first flying lesson, Madam Hooch had to leave the class unattended when Neville Longbottom crashed and fell from his broomstick. In her absence, Draco Malfoy discovered a Remembrall that Neville had dropped, and flew off with it when Harry demanded it back. Harry followed Malfoy on his broomstick, and although he had never flown before, he was able to control the broom with ease and managed to catch the Remembrall in a 50 foot dive when Malfoy threw it. Professor McGonagall witnessed the catch, and instead of punishing Harry for not staying on the ground as Madam Hooch had ordered, she offered him the place of Seeker in the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Fred and George Weasley noted that the Hogwarts brooms were not very good. The brooms did odd things such as fly too far to the left, and vibrate slightly when they were flown too high.
Behind the scenes
- Although this class was only taught to first-year students in the books, in some video games older students took the class. However, this could be because some students still had problems with flying on brooms.
- In 1991, Harry Potter can be the first student to discover a secret room on Training Grounds since 1867. However, this is only present in the PC version of the Philosopher's Stone.
- The first book implies that flying class happens weekly for the first-years. However, only Harry's first lesson is described, and the class is never mentioned again. This could be because he showed his adeptness for flight in the very first class.
- Flying is the favourite class of Harry Potter actor Tom Felton, who played Draco Malfoy.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (play)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
|The Eleven Schools: Beauxbatons · Castelobruxo · Durmstrang · Hogwarts · Ilvermorny · Koldovstoretz · Mahoutokoro · Uagadou|
|Specialised schools: Academy of Broom Flying · Charm School · Euro-Glyph School of Extraordinary Languages · Merge School of Under-Water Spellage · Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts|
|Examinations: First year exams · Second year exams · Third year exams · Fourth year exams · Ordinary Wizarding Level · Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test|
|Core classes: Astronomy · Charms · Defence Against the Dark Arts · Herbology · History of Magic · Potions · Transfiguration|
|Elective classes: Alchemy · Arithmancy · Care of Magical Creatures · Divination · Muggle Studies · Study of Ancient Runes|
|Extra-curricular classes: Apparition · Advanced Arithmancy Studies · Ancient Studies · Art · Flying · Frog Choir · Ghoul Studies · Hogwarts orchestra · Magical Theory · Muggle Art · Muggle Music · Music · Xylomancy|