- " There was a lot more to magic, as Harry quickly found out, than waving your wand and saying a few funny words."
- —A lesson all first years learn[src]
A first year is a student at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry who is new to Hogwarts and in their first year of magical education. Those who receive their Hogwarts letter at age eleven are permitted to attend.
Travelling to Hogwarts
First years are typically eleven to twelve years of age, and begin the year by boarding the Hogwarts Express at exactly 11 a.m. on 1 September, from King's Cross Station on which they travel to Hogwarts. If they live in Hogsmeade, they do not need to catch the train. From there, first year students are accompanied by the Keeper of Keys and Grounds (or another suitable teacher if they are absent), along a shady path that leads to a fleet of small boats, which sail themselves across the Black Lake before arriving at a small landing stage near the base of Hogwarts Castle; they then await their turn to be Sorted into their houses. A teacher takes them to a small room where they await the Sorting ceremony. Older students ride up to the castle in carriages pulled by Thestrals.
The Start-of-Term Feast
- "Everybody finished the song at different times. At last, only the Weasley twins were left singing along to a very slow funeral march"
- —How the Hogwarts song finished in Harry Potter's first year[src]
Just before the Start-of-Term Feast begins, new students are Sorted into one of four houses (Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin) by the Sorting Hat. The Hat analyses each student's mind, looking for specific characteristics that it uses to decide where to put each student. After the sorting, the Headmaster says a few words and the feast begins. After the feast, the headmaster says a few more words; if he or she is feeling particularly festive, they will direct the students as they sing the school song, such as the year Harry Potter came to Hogwarts. Dumbledore used his wand as a conductor's baton, conjuring a ribbon that floated in the air, forming the words for the students to sing along with, each singing to the tune of their choice. Not all Professors are overfond of the song, but, Albus Dumbledore, the wise and odd man he was, conducted the singing with gusto and even teared up in the end:
Hoggy Warty Hogwarts
Teach us something, please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.
During the first year
- "To their great surprise, both he and Ron passed with good marks; Hermione, of course, had the best grades of the first years. Even Neville scraped through, his good Herbology grade making up for his abysmal Potions one."
- —Harry's first experiences with end of the year exams[src]
First year students must take: Transfiguration, Charms, Potions, History of Magic, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Astronomy, and Herbology, classes that are mandatory throughout their first five years of magical education. First years, and only first years, are required to take flying, where they learn the basic commands to give to their broomstick, as well as basic tricks and tips for riding. As most of the first years have probably never flown before arriving at Hogwarts school.
In Astronomy, students observe the sky with their telescopes, learning the names and movements of the stars, planets and their moon(s). Charms students learn the Levitation Charm, the Softening Charm, the Fire-Making Spell, and, as the exam requires them to make a pineapple dance across a desk, presumably the dancing charm. Defence Against the Dark Arts classes teach the Curse of the Bogies, the Knockback Jinx, and different ways to treat werewolf bites. Herbology students study various plants and fungi, such as Dittany and Devil's Snare. In History of Magic, students learn the names and dates of various famous events and people, including Emeric the Evil, Uric the Oddball, the Warlock's Convention of 1709, the inventor of the self-stirring cauldron, various goblin rebellions, and the uprise of Elfric the Eager. Transfiguration students must take complex notes before learning the spell to turn a match into a needle, the mouse into snuffbox spell, and the Switching Spell. Lastly, potions students learn the Cure for Boils potion, and the Forgetfulness Potion.
First year Gryffindor
|First||Herbology (?)||Herbology (?)||Herbology (?)||Charms||Potions|
|Second||Defence Against the Dark Arts (?)||Transfiguration||Potions|
- Breaks are used to get from one class to the other. They are at least ten minutes long.
- Herbology was held three times a week. At least one Herbology class is held in the first morning period.
- There is at least one Defence Against the Dark Arts class in the morning.
- Astronomy classes are held on Wednesdays at midnight.
- Potions is held only once a week, a double class on Friday morning, together with the Slytherins.
- A Charms class was held on Hallowe'en morning, a Thursday. This class was held on the first morning period.
- Transfiguration takes place on Thursday, and since the first morning period is Charms and the afternoon is Flying, it has to fall in the second morning period.
- Flying lessons (joint class with Slytherin) take place on Thursdays at 3:30 pm.
- It is unknown when History of Magic classes take place.
First year restrictions
First years cannot go to Hogsmeade with the students in the third year or above, and are not permitted to have their own broomstick inside the school grounds or join the Quidditch team, an exception being Harry Potter, who was given a Nimbus 2000 in his first year and that same year, joined the Gryffindor Quidditch team. They are further forbidden from taking Divination, Muggle Studies, Study of Ancient Runes, Care of Magical Creatures and Arithmancy until third year, and Apparition and Alchemy until sixth year.
Behind the scenes
- According to the timetable featured in Harry Potter Film Wizardry, the timetable for a first year Gryffindor is as follows:
|First||Xylomancy||Potions||Double Potions||Defence Against the Dark Arts||Herbology||Potions|
|Second||Potions||History of Magic||Charms||Potions||History of Magic||Potions|
|Third||Defence Against the Dark Arts||Herbology||Magical Theory||Transfiguration||Charms||Transfiguration|
|Fourth||Charms||Transfiguration||Magical Theory||Flying||Magical Theory||Transfiguration|
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter: The Character Vault
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
Notes and references
- ↑ Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 13 (Nicolas Flamel) - "Once term had started, they were back to skimming through books for ten minutes during their breaks."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 8 (The Potions Master) -"Three times a week they went out to the greenhouses behind the castle to study Herbology [...]"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 14 (Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback) - "Then, one breakfast time, Hedwig brought Harry another note from Hagrid. [...] Ron wanted to skip Herbology and go straight down to the hut. Hermione wouldn't hear of it. [...] Ron and Hermione argued all the way to Herbology and in the end, Hermione agreed to run down to Hagrid's with the other two during morning break."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 13 (Nicolas Flamel) - "The next morning in Defence Against the Dark Arts, while copying down different ways of treating werewolf bites [...]"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 8 (The Potions Master) - "They had to study the night skies through their telescopes every Wednesday at midnight and learn the names of different stars and the movements of the planets."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 13 (Nicolas Flamel) - "Potions lessons were turning into a sort of weekly torture, Snape was so horrible to Harry."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 8 (The Potions Master) - "Friday was an important day for Harry and Ron. [...] "What have we got today?" Harry asked Ron as he poured sugar on his porridge. "Double Potions with the Slytherins," said Ron."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 10 (Hallowe'en) - "On Hallowe'en morning [...] Professor Flitwick announced in Charms that he thought they were ready to start making objects fly [...]"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 10 (Hallowe'en) - "Hermione didn't turn up for the next class and wasn't seen all afternoon".
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 8 (The Potions Master) - "Friday was an important day for Harry and Ron. [...] "Wish McGonagall favoured us," said Harry. Professor McGonagall was head of Gryffindor House, but it hadn't stopped her from giving them a huge pile of homework the day before."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 9 (The Midnight Duel) - "Flying lessons would be starting on Thursday — and Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together."
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 9 (The Midnight Duel) - "At three-thirty that afternoon, Harry, Ron, and the other Gryffindors hurried down the front steps onto the grounds for their first flying lesson."
|First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh|