Ash wood and birch twigs
Braking Charm, superb balance and precision, and hovers at reasonable mounting height when let go.
At least one hundred and fifty miles per hour
The Firebolt is a world-class broomstick. It was the fastest at the time of its production, and was released in 1993. In time, the Firebolt broomstick was used in the Bulgarian and Irish International Quidditch Teams.
It is capable of going from nought to one hundred and fifty miles per hour in ten seconds. The Firebolt also boasts an unbreakable Braking Charm, superb balance and precision, and hovers at reasonable mounting height when let go. By 1994, the Firebolt was the fastest broomstick in the whole world.
In the late twentieth century - the time of the Nimbus Racing Broom Company's dominance, when their brooms where the most sold in the world, nobody knew that skillful and innovative broom maker Randolph Spudmore(son of Able Spudmore of Ellerby and Spudmore, who produced the Tinderblast in 1940 and the Swiftstick in 1952) was working on a top-secret project, developing a Firebolt.
He was the first one to use a goblin-made ironwork (including footrests, stand and twig bands) which gives the Firebolt additional stability and power in adverse weather conditions and a special non-slip foot grip that is of particular advantage to Quidditch players. This fact is very unknown and secret, because other broom makers would like to use this technique, if they find that out.
The handle is of polished ebony and the twigs of birch or hazel according to personal preference (birch is reputed to give more ‘oomph’ in high ascents, whereas hazel is preferred by those who prefer hair-trigger steering).
Harry Potter first saw a prototype Firebolt broom in the window of Quality Quidditch Supplies in the summer before his third year. He wanted one, but he already had a Nimbus 2000 and had to remind himself of that to keep himself from going in and asking what the price was. It was said that he would have to empty his vault in Gringotts, should he actually purchase the Firebolt.
Every day that he was in Diagon Alley, before his third year at Hogwarts, he made sure that he passed the window so that he could stare in awe at the amazing and magnificent broom. He received a Firebolt as an anonymous present from his godfather, Sirius Black at Christmas 1993, after his Nimbus 2000 was destroyed by the Whomping Willow during a Quidditch match against Hufflepuff team. Miniature models were also produced as gifts. In 1995, Harry's Firebolt was confiscated by Dolores Umbridge as punishment. She kept it in her office until Fred and George Weasley destroyed her office door during their exit from Hogwarts. It was then said to have been taken to one of the Dungeons where it was guarded by a Troll at all times. Harry presumably was given back his Firebolt after Umbridge was fired. Harry was the only person in Hogwarts that owned a Firebolt. Harry lost his Firebolt in the Battle of the Seven Potters.
Behind the scenes
- Because Firebolt broomsticks hover at convenient mounting height when not in use, the usefulness of the apparently undetachable bipod is questionable, except for display, such as in the window of Quality Quidditch Supplies in Diagon Alley, or as a footrest when one is on the broom but apparently, it is used as a foot-rest as it was shown in many occasions in the films that the characters half stand on the bipods and also rest their feet on them.
- In Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film), Ron Weasley is seen using a similar bipod to stabilize his stance while playing Keeper. This may be the intended function of the Firebolt's bipod.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (GBA version only)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter: Quidditch World Cup
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4