|"Well, I think we should put it back in order for them, don't you?"|
- "A Magical New First Year Adventure"
- —Official tagline
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in the USA.) is a video game, based on J.K. Rowling's first book in the Harry Potter series and the film adaptation. It was published by Electronic Arts and released on 15 November, 2001. The game was released for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, the Nintendo GameCube, Xbox and Mac.
- Harry Potter (voiced by Joe Sowerbutts): an eleven year-old wizard who survived Voldemort's wrath as a baby.
- Hermione Granger (voiced by Emily Robison), Harry's best friend. Hermione sometimes helps Harry find his classes.
- Ron Weasley (voiced by Gregg Chillin), Harry's other best friend. Ron also leads Harry to his classes sometimes. Playable with cheat.
- Fred and George Weasley (voiced by Lewis MacLeod), identical twins and Ron's older brothers. Known for their mischief-making capabilities, they teach Harry the basic actions of climbing and jumping in the beginning of the game (PC/MAC). They also trade Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans for Chocolate Frog Cards during the course of the game (PC/MAC).
- Draco Malfoy (voiced by Lewis MacLeod), Harry's nemesis. Malfoy is usually seen with his cronies, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle.
- Albus Dumbledore (voiced by Benjamin Stone), The Headmaster of Hogwarts. Dumbledore gives Harry some useful advice during the game.
- Quirinus Quirrell (voiced by David de Keyser), The Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Professor Quirrell is controlled by Lord Voldemort.
- Minerva McGonagall (voiced by Ève Karpf), The Transfiguration teacher, Deputy Headmistress and Head of Gryffindor House.
- Rolanda Hooch (voiced by Ève Karpf), The Flying teacher and Quidditch referee.
- Severus Snape (voiced by Allan Corduner), The Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House. Playable with cheat
- Filius Flitwick (voiced by Allan Corduner), The Charms teacher and Head of Ravenclaw House.
- Pomona Sprout, The Herbology teacher and Head of Hufflepuff House.
- Rubeus Hagrid (voiced by Jonathan Kydd), A friendly Half-giant usually found in his Rubeus Hagrid's cabin on the grounds.
- Argus Filch (voiced by Allan Corduner), The Caretaker of Hogwarts and dislikes the students at Hogwarts.
- Mrs. Norris, Filch's cat that spies on students and sends for her master.
- Lord Voldemort, the most evil person in the game. Harry has to defeat him at the end of the game.
- Peeves (voiced by Chris Crosby), a blue skinned, raven haired, bucktoothed, red-dressed poltergeist who is always causing trouble for either Harry or Filch.
- Lee Jordan (commentating only, voiced by Tom Attenborough in the PS1 version), is the commentator for Quidditch and is good friends with Fred and George Weasley.
- Sybill Trelawney, the Divination Professor. On certain game systems, Sybill has written a note on the locked door to the Divination Classroom that reads, "Do Not Disturb, Crystal Gazing," she is never actually seen however.
- Nearly Headless Nick (voiced by David Coker), is a friendly ghost who's nearly headless and is also the ghost of Gryffindor House.
- The Grey Lady, daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw and ghost of Ravenclaw House.
- The Fat Friar, ghost of Hufflepuff.
- The Bloody Baron, ghost who Peeves fears and a ghost of Slytherin House.
- Gnome: Gnomes are annoying little creatures who bite you and steal your Bertie Botts Every Flavoured Beans. Once they steal them, you can not get them back. They can be easily stunned with the Flipendo knockback jinx.
- Orange Snail: Orange Snails can burn you if you touch them or their slime trails. Cast Flipendo to stun them.
- Venomous Tentacula: A nasty plant that can bite Harry if he gets too close. The can be wilted by casting Incendio. In Sprout's garden you meet a lot of Venomous Tentaculas. You haven't learned how to cast Incendio then, so you'll have to dodge them.
- Doxy: Pixie-like flying beasts who bite when you get too close. Cast Flipendo on them to repel them.
- Fire Crab: There are only two Fire Crabs in the whole game, in the fire seed level. It can shoot fire out of it's backside. Cast Flipendo on it twice to knock it over.
- Ghost: Nearly Headless Nick has his main role during a level where Harry must avoid Filch and Mrs. Norris. He manages to point Harry the way around the library. The Grey Lady just floats around Hogwarts castle and the Nearly Headless Nick can be talked with, but if you touch the Bloody Baron in the dungeons, you lose stamina. The Baron also indirectly assists you by opening doors when he goes through them. Poltergeist Peeves is causing trouble for Harry and Filch and has to be fought in two Boss fights. The Fat Friar is absent.
- Troll: There is only one troll in the game. In the same time that Ron casts the Levitation Charm to hit the club to it's head Harry has to cast Flipendo to keep the junk the troll throws away from you.
- Dragon: The dragon Norbert is the only dragon in the game. You have to fetch fire seeds for it.
- Pig: Hagrid raises pigs in his garden
- Flobberworm: Cast Flipendo on the symbol to get its mucus
- Goat: Hagrid grows a goat in his garden.
- Owl: Harry's owl Hedwig, who brings him messages.
- Fluffy: Hagrid's three-headed dog. One of the guardians of the Philosopher's Stone. Can be lulled to sleep using the harp.
- Gargoyle: Cast Lumos on them and a secret area will light up.
- Devil's Snare: The deadly plant that will kill Ron and Hermione if Harry doesn't cast Incendio on it.
- Forest Troll: The forest-dwelling trolls can be only found in the Forbidden Forest. Throw the Puffapod at them whenever they standing on the sewer door.
|Event||Book||Film||PC/MAC Game||PS1 Game||GBC/GBA Game||PS2/XBox/Gamecube Game|
|Right before the Troll||Ron and Harry see Snape pass them, and then the friends lock the girls' lavatory door and hear Hermione scream. Then, they go and rescue Hermione.||Ron and Harry see the troll get in the girls' lavatory and follow it to save Hermione.||Harry and Ron see Snape leaving the Forbidden corridor while limping. Soon afterwards, Ron and Harry smell something, and then they have to run from the troll. When the troll runs into the girls' lavatory the friends lock the door and hear Hermione scream. Then, they go and rescue Hermione.||Ron tells Harry that a troll managed to get in and trapped Hermione in the girls' bathroom. Harry tries to distract the troll, but it enters the bathroom and the boys follow it.||
|The Troll||Ron uses the Levitation Charm to knock it out.||Ron uses the Levitation Charm to knock it out.||Ron uses the Levitation Charm to knock it out.||Ron uses the Levitation Charm to knock it out.||Harry used Verdimillious to kill it in the GBC. Harry uses Flipendo to make the Troll fall down a pit in GBA.||Harry uses Spongify instead of Ron using the Levitation Charm.|
|Quidditch Match||Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Harry has a Jinxed Broom.||Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Harry has a Jinxed Broom.||Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff. No Jinxed Broom||Quidditch is Omitted in the GBC version - Quirrell instead tries to kill Harry using rats hidden in his Gringotts vault. No Jinxed Broom in GBA and Multiple Quidditch Matches.||Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Harry has a Jinxed Broom.|
|The Forbidden Forest||Harry, Neville, Hermione and Draco go into the Forest. Ron is in the Hospital Wing at the time.||Harry, Hermione and Draco go into the Forest. Ron replaces Neville.||The Forbidden Forest is omitted from the PC Game because Harry(who is alone) isn't caught by Filch(if he is, the level will end).||Harry, Hermione, Hagrid, and Draco go into the Forest. Ron replaces Neville.||Only Harry goes in the Forest.|
|Fluffy's Chamber and Through the Trapdoor||Harry plays the flute Hagrid gave him.||Quirrell bewitched a harp, Harry, Ron, Hermione jump down when Fluffy wakes up.||Harry plays the flute Hagrid gave him.||Harry plays the flute Hagrid gave him.||Harry plays the flute Hagrid gave him.||Quirrell bewitched a harp, Harry, Ron, Hermione jump down when Fluffy wakes up.|
|Devil's Snare||Hermione defeats it with some sort of fire.||Hermione defeats it with Lumos Solem.||Harry defeats it with fire, saving Ron and Hermione.||Harry defeats it with fire.||Harry and Hermione defeat it using Incendio and Diffindo.|
|Winged Keys||Harry catches the key with Ron and Hermione's help.||Harry catches the key.||Harry catches the key.||Harry catches the key.||Harry catches the key.||Harry catches the key.|
|Giant Chess Board||Harry is a bishop, Hermione is a rook, Ron is a Knight and later gets injured.||Harry is a bishop, Hermione is a rook, Ron is a Knight and later gets injured.||Ron defeats most of the pieces and gets injured, Harry defeats the rest, and Hermione doesn't play.||There are three boards; Ron defeats most of the pieces and gets injured, Harry defeats the rest, and Hermione doesn't play.||Ron defeats some pieces and Harry takes over.|
|Troll||Quirrell has already defeated the troll, so Harry and Hermione just pass through to the next room.||The Troll is omitted from the movie.||The Troll is omitted from the game.||The Troll, still groggy, follows Harry down a stone passageway until it falls into a pit at the other end. Hermione opens the door to the next room with Alohomora.||The Troll is omitted from the game.|
|Potion Riddle||Hermione solves the riddle; Harry goes through the black flames, Hermione goes through the purple flames.||The Potion Riddle is omitted from the movie.||Harry watches the vials switch places and guess which one isn't poison. The vials go faster and faster to make it harder. If Harry drinks any potion besides the correct one, he simply dies.||Harry has to guess which knight has the correct potion.||The Potion Riddle is omitted from the game.|
|Mirror of Erised Antechamber||None||None||Harry has to push Flipendo blocks to get to the Mirror of Erised room, while Quirrell pushes the blocks back and tries to curse him.||Quirrell brings suits of armour to life and summons a gigantic suit of armour.||None|
|Mirror of Erised Chamber||Harry struggles against Quirrell and Voldemort, He then touches Quirrell's face, but passes out before Quirrell dies.||Harry must kill Quirrell/Voldemort by collapsing pillars on top of him then he must deflect Voldemort's curses with the Mirror. Harry passes out at the same time Quirrell dies. Dumbledore then bursts in to the room.||Harry tries to kill Quirrell/Voldemort by collapsing pillars on top of him, after he damages Quirrell enough, he will destroy the pillars, Harry then must cast Flipendo at the Mirror, which will absorb it. Then he must cast it again when Quirrell is directly in front/behind the mirror. After which, Quirrell will then start to try and drain Harry's life force. The player must quickly press the square button to resist. Then the player must press the cross button to damage Quirrell when the time is right. Quirrell dies after this part, Harry briefly stares at his corpse, then passes out.||Harry fights Mutated Gytrash, then duels with Voldemort. He then touches Quirrell's face, and watches Quirrell die, and passes out when Voldemort's soul passes through him.|
- Drone Jinx (GBC version): This spell can only be used by Chocolate Frog Card combinations; it produces a loud noise, used to scare away or harm opponents.
- Flipendo (All versions): This spell knocks objects over, stuns magical creatures, pushes specially-marked blocks out of the way, trigger switches, destroy plants or sun spiky bushes (GameCube, PS2, Xbox). Harry learns this spell in his first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson (PC/MAC, and GBA), Nearly Headless Nick (PS), or from Ollivander (GBC, Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube). In the PS version, objects which can be Flipendo'd are marked with a white-and-blue sparkle.
- Alohomora (All versions except GBC & PS1): This spell unlocks magical locks. Hermione teaches Harry this spell before their Charms lesson (PC/MAC), or when trying not to get caught by Snape (GameCube,PS2,Xbox). On the PS version, Ron uses this spell to open an old area of the Castle, and Hermione uses it to open the door to the Potions Riddle at the Philosopher's Stone Chambers. Harry does not get to learn this spell.
- Wingardium Leviosa (PC, PS, GBA, GBC): This spell levitates small blocks, (or in the case of the PS version, any object) conveniently marked with a "W" or yellow sparkle. Harry learns this spell in his Charms lesson (PC/MAC, GBC and PS).
- Incendio (All versions except GBA): This spell shrivels Spiky Bushes, burns plants and 'affects' bulbs and temporarily stuns Venomous Tentaculas. Harry learns this spell in his Herbology lesson (PC/MAC and PS), in Transfiguration class (GBC) or in his Charms lesson (GameCube,PS2,Xbox). The PS version marks any object that can be set on fire with a green sparkle.
- Verdimillious (PS and GBC): This spell is cast on invisible platforms to make them appear. Harry can then walk on these platforms before they become invisible again. Harry learns this spell in his Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson (PS) or from Hermione on Hogwarts Express (GBC). Marked with a light blue sparkle in the PS version.
- Avifors (PS and GBA): This spells used to transform bird statue into a real bird. The purpose of the spell is transform statue bird into real bird and then make table where the statue bird on will move up and down. This table is used as a platform to move from down floor to upper floor. Marked with a red-orange sparkle in the PS version.
- Lumos (All versions except GBC and PS): This spell can be cast in the dark so you can push against the wall or to fight ghosts.(PS2, XBox, and Gamecube). The spell can also be used on gargoyles to make shiny platforms appear (PS2, XBox, Gamecube, and PC/MAC).
- Diffindo (GameCube, PS2, and Xbox):This spell is used to cut ropes, chains, stun Venomous Tentacula, or to destroy spiky bushes. (GameCube, PS2, and Xbox)
- Spongify (GameCube, PS2, and Xbox):This spell is used to make Spongify pads springy.(GameCube,PS2,Xbox)
- Vermillious (GBC): This spell shoots sparks at the opponent. It is learned at Ollivander's.
- Floating eyes curse: used in tandem with Colloportus by an unknown witch or wizard in order to prevent students fully exploring the castle.
- Colloportus: used in tandem with the floating eyes curse by an unknown witch or wizard in order to prevent students fully exploring the castle.
- In the PC/MAC version, in the final fight, Professor Quirrell casts a non verbal curse, which most likely is meant to be the Killing Curse. This hasn´t been confirmed.
- Flipendo: This spell knocks objects over, stuns magical creatures, pushes specially-marked blocks out of the way, trigger switches, destroy plants or sun spiky bushes (GameCube, PS2, Xbox). Harry learns this spell in his first Defence Against the Dark Arts lesson (PC/MAC, and GBA), Nearly Headless Nick (PS), or from Ollivander (GBC, Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube)
- Alohomora: This spell unlocks magical locks. Hermione teaches Harry this spell before their Charms lesson (PC/MAC), or when trying not to get caught by Snape (GameCube,PS2,Xbox). On the PS version, Ron uses this spell to open an old area of the Castle, and Hermione uses it to open the door to the Potions Riddle at the Philosopher's Stone Chambers. Harry does not get to learn this spell.
- Wingardium Leviosa: This spell levitates small blocks, (or in the case of the PS version, any object) conveniently marked with a "W" or yellow sparkle. Harry learns this spell in his Charms lesson .
- Incendio: This spell shrivels Spiky Bushes, burns plants and 'affects' bulbs and temporarily stuns Venomous Tentaculas. Harry learns this spell in his Herbology lesson , in Transfiguration class (GBC) or in his Charms lesson .
- Lumos : This spell can be cast in the dark so you can push against the wall or to fight ghosts. The spell can also be used on gargoyles to make shiny platforms appear.
Areas seen in Hogwarts:
- Armoury (GBC version only)
- Art Classroom (GBC version only)
- Charms classroom
- Charms Corridor
- Classroom 1A (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 1C (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 1D (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 1E (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 5B (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 6A
- Classroom 6B (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 7A
- Classroom 7B (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 7C (PS2 version only)
- Cuthbert Binns's office (GB version only)
- Disused seventh floor bathroom
- Entrance Hall
- Fat Lady's Corridor
- Fifth-floor boys' restroom (GBC version only)
- First-floor empty classroom (I) (GBA version only)
- First-floor empty classroom (II) (GBA version only)
- First-floor girls' lavatory
- Filch's office (GBA version only)
- Filius Flitwick's office (GBA version only)
- Forbidden Forest (all but PC version)
- Gargoyle Gate (PS1 version only)
- Great Hall (cut scenes only)
- Gryffindor Tower
- Gryffindor Tower reading room
- History of Magic classroom
- Hogwarts attic (PS1 version only)
- Hogwarts greenhouses
- Hogwarts Library
- Hogwarts Quidditch pitch
- Hospital wing (cut scenes only)
- Philosopher's Stone chambers
- Poppy Pomfrey's office (GBA version only)
- Middle Courtyard
- Minerva McGonagall's office
- Mirror of Erised storage room
- Muggle Studies Classroom (GBA version only)
- Music Classroom (GBC version only)
- Portrait Room (GBA version only)
- Potions Classroom
- Potions basement (GBA version only)
- Potion-Mixing Room (GBA version only)
- Quidditch Training Pitch
- Rubeus Hagrid's cabin
- Rubeus Hagrid's garden
- Secret room near the Training Grounds (PC version only)
- Severus Snape's office (GBA version only)
- Sixth-floor empty classroom (GBA version only)
- Temporary Defence Against the Dark Arts Classroom
- Third Floor Corridor
- Transfiguration classroom
- Trophy Room (GBC and GBA version only)
- Wizard Card Collectors' Club room
- Writing Supplies Room (GB version only)
The first four versions of the game were released in 2001 by EA for the PC, MAC, Game Boy Colour, Game Boy Advance, and the Playstation. The PC version was ported to the Mac by Aspyr in 2002. Another version, for GameCube, Playstation 2, and Xbox, was released in 2003.
Debug mode can be accessed in the PC/MAC version of the game as it is built on the Unreal Engine. It includes things like ghost mode, fly mode, and others.
- Peeves does not appear in the film, but is battled on a regular basis in this game. In the GameCube, Xbox, and PS2 versions he only appears in a cutscene, but is never battled.
- In the PC/MAC version, the Forbidden Forest part is not included.
- In the film and book, Harry's broomstick is jinxed in the first Quidditch match. In the PC/MAC and PS1 version, both Quidditch matches have no Jinxed brooms or accidents. In the PS2/Gamecube/XBox version, the Slytherin match is played on a jinxed broom.
- In the book, Quirrell summons ropes to tie Harry by snapping his fingers. In the film, Quirrell snaps his fingers to make fire surround the area. In the PC/MAC version, Quirrell moves his hands to conjure fire around the area. But in the PS1 version, Quirrell does not make fire surround the area, but green ropes do tie themselves around Harry at times. And in all the video games, Voldemort is the final boss.
- In the PC and Playstation versions of the game, Norbert seems to appear early in the game, unlike in the book and movie where he appears nearly at the end of the story.
- Norbert is omitted in the Playstation 2, Xbox, Nintendo Gamecube and Gameboy Advanced versions of the game.
- Originally Reparo, Verdimillious and an unnamed spell were to appear in the PC/MAC Version of the game. Also Incendio and Wingardium Leviosa were to have more uses.
- The Dursleys were to appear in the PC/MAC Version of the game because they have their model files still in the game.
- Harry constantly fights Draco on a daily basis. Though, in the book and movie, Harry doesn't fight Draco at all until Year 2.
- In the GBA version of the game, Harry gets caught by Professor Snape instead of Filch, and Harry's detention in the forest isn't the same as the book or movie.
- In the GBA version of the game, Harry uses Flipendo on the Troll and it falls in a hole in the girls bathroom. In the book and Movie, Ron used the Levitation Charm on the troll's club to bash the troll's head with it.
- In the Playstation 2 and Xbox versions of the game the Quidditch Match against Slytherin is at the last match of the year rather than the first.
- In the PC, PS1 and Playstation version of the game, Harry gets trapped in the dungeons during Potions class.
- In the Playstation 2, Xbox, Gamecube versions of the game, Harry goes alone in the Forbidden Forest.
- The GBC Version of the game has a glitch during the part where you need to find ingredients for Snape. One of them is supposed to be found by examining a tapestry in Snape's office. However, if you get the other ingredient first, the one in Snape's office will never appear and you will be forced to restart the game.
- See directions how to turn on the debug and cheat at Gamefaqs.com
-  - Listen to the Game Soundtrack