|"Well, I think we should put it back in order for them, don't you?"|
- "A Magical New First Year Adventure"
- —Official tagline
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in its original American title) is a set of video games, based on J.K. Rowling's first book in the Harry Potter series and the film adaptation.
Different versions of this game were produced for the different gaming platforms. A total of five versions were produced:
- Computer version (PC, Mac) by KnownWonder
- 6th gen home console version (PS2, Xbox, GameCube) by Warthog
- 5th gen home console version (PS1) by Argonaut
- 6th gen portable console version (GBA) by Griptonite Games
- 5th gen portable console version (GBC) by Griptonite Games
Harry Potter lived a miserable life with the Dursleys. He didn't know that he was a wizard or the true circumstances of his parent's death. Until Hagrid, a giant man from Hogwarts School found him and introduced him to the wizarding world. Harry became a famous student at Hogwarts and got to be the youngest seeker in a century. Harry, Ron and Hermione found out about a three headed dog guarding a trap door on the third floor and began suspecting Professor Snape who had been interrogating their D. A. D. A. teacher Professor Quirell.
- Harry Potter (voiced by Joe Sowerbutts): an eleven year-old wizard who survived Voldemort's wrath as a baby.
- Hermione Granger (voiced by Emily Robison), Harry's best friend. Hermione sometimes helps Harry find his classes. She is first introduced while Harry goes to Defence Against the Dark Arts class for the first time, (PC/MAC), after being sorted (PS2, Xbox and Gamecube), or after your first flying lesson. (PS1)
- Ron Weasley (voiced by Gregg Chillin), Harry's other best friend. Ron also leads Harry to his classes sometimes. Playable with cheat. He is first introduced after talking to Professor Dumbledore (PC/MAC), before rescuing Hedwig (PS1), or after being sorted. (PS2, Xbox and Gamecube)
- Fred and George Weasley (voiced by Lewis MacLeod), identical twins and Ron's older brothers. Known for their mischief-making capabilities, they teach Harry the basic actions of climbing and jumping in the beginning of the game (PC/MAC). They also trade Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans for Chocolate Frog Cards during the course of the game (PC/MAC).
- Neville Longbottom (voiced by ?), Harry's Fellow Gryffindor friend. Neville is first seen before Herbology Class say's that he's got a remembrall. The Remembrall said that Herbology Class is starting soon. He is seen again when Starting to Attend Herbology class while Fred and George arrives for the Beans. Neville Longbottom is seen again after Herbology where gets upset because Malfoy Stole His Remembrall. After chasing Malfoy Neville is happy that he's got his Remembrall Back. Neville is Seen again in Defence Against the Dark Arts Class when Harry learns the Lumos spell by Quirrell (PC/MAC). He gets trapped by the flapping books in the beginning of the game but Harry Rescued Him (PS1 version). He enters in the Lumos Spell Challenge but he was too scared. During the flying lesson after Harry had learned to fly by Madam Hooch. She Say's "Longbottom, Your Turn" and Neville looses control on his broom and breaks his wrist after falling from a great height. (PS2/Xbox/GameCube).
- Draco Malfoy (voiced by Lewis MacLeod), Harry's nemesis. Malfoy is usually seen with his cronies, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle.
- Albus Dumbledore (voiced by Benjamin Stone), The Headmaster of Hogwarts. Dumbledore gives Harry some useful advice during the game.
- Quirinus Quirrell (voiced by David de Keyser), The Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Professor Quirrell is controlled by Lord Voldemort.
- Minerva McGonagall (voiced by Ève Karpf), The Transfiguration teacher, Deputy Headmistress and Head of Gryffindor House.
- Rolanda Hooch (voiced by Ève Karpf), The Flying teacher and Quidditch referee.
- Severus Snape (voiced by Allan Corduner), The Potions Master and Head of Slytherin House. Playable with cheat
- Filius Flitwick (voiced by Allan Corduner), The Charms teacher and Head of Ravenclaw House.
- Pomona Sprout, The Herbology teacher and Head of Hufflepuff House.
- Rubeus Hagrid (voiced by Jonathan Kydd), A friendly Half-giant usually found in his Rubeus Hagrid's cabin on the grounds.
- Argus Filch (voiced by Allan Corduner), The Caretaker of Hogwarts and dislikes the students at Hogwarts.
- Mrs Norris, Filch's cat that spies on students and sends for her master.
- Lord Voldemort, the most evil person in the game. Harry has to defeat him at the end of the game.
- Peeves (voiced by Chris Crosby), a blue skinned, raven haired, bucktoothed, red-dressed poltergeist who is always causing trouble for either Harry or Filch.
- Lee Jordan (commentating only, voiced by Tom Attenborough in the PS1 version), is the commentator for Quidditch and is good friends with Fred and George Weasley.
- Sybill Trelawney, the Divination Professor. On certain game systems, Sybill has written a note on the locked door to the Divination Classroom that reads, "Do Not Disturb, Crystal Gazing," she is never actually seen however.
- Nearly Headless Nick (voiced by David Coker), is a friendly ghost who's nearly headless and is also the ghost of Gryffindor House.
- The Grey Lady, daughter of Rowena Ravenclaw and ghost of Ravenclaw House.
- The Fat Friar, ghost of Hufflepuff.
- The Bloody Baron, ghost who Peeves fears and a ghost of Slytherin House.
- Gnome: Gnomes are annoying little creatures who bite you and steal your Bertie Botts Every Flavoured Beans. Once they steal them, you can not get them back. They can be easily stunned with the Flipendo knockback jinx.
- Orange Snail: Orange Snails can burn you if you touch them or their slime trails. Cast Flipendo to stun them.
- Venomous Tentacula: A nasty plant that can bite Harry if he gets too close. The can be wilted by casting Incendio. In Sprout's garden you meet a lot of Venomous Tentaculas. You haven't learned how to cast Incendio then, so you'll have to dodge them.
- Doxy: Pixie-like flying beasts who bite when you get too close. Cast Flipendo on them to repel them.
- Fire Crab: There are only two Fire Crabs in the whole game, in the fire seed level. It can shoot fire out of its backside. Cast Flipendo on it twice to knock it over.
- Ghost: Nearly Headless Nick has his main role during a level where Harry must avoid Filch and Mrs Norris. He manages to point Harry the way around the library. The Grey Lady just floats around Hogwarts castle and the Nearly Headless Nick can be talked with, but if you touch the Bloody Baron in the dungeons, you lose stamina. The Baron also indirectly assists you by opening doors when he goes through them. Poltergeist Peeves is causing trouble for Harry and Filch and has to be fought in two Boss fights. The Fat Friar is absent.
- Troll: There is only one troll in the game. In the same time that Ron casts the Levitation Charm to hit the club to its head Harry has to cast Flipendo to keep the junk the troll throws away from you.
- Dragon: The dragon Norbert is the only dragon in the game. You have to fetch fire seeds for it.
- Pig: Hagrid raises pigs in his garden
- Flobberworm: Cast Flipendo on the symbol to get its mucus
- Goat: Hagrid grows a goat in his garden.
- Owl: Harry's owl Hedwig, who brings him messages.
- Fluffy: Hagrid's three-headed dog. One of the guardians of the Philosopher's Stone. Can be lulled to sleep using the harp.
- Gargoyle: Cast Lumos on them and a secret area will light up.
- Devil's Snare: The deadly plant that will kill Ron and Hermione if Harry doesn't cast Incendio on it.
- Forest Troll: The forest-dwelling trolls can be only found in the Forbidden Forest. Throw the Puffapod at them whenever they standing on the sewer door.
|Event||Book||Film||PC/MAC Game||PS1 Game||GBC/GBA Game||PS2/Xbox/Gamecube Game|
|Flying Lesson||Madam Hooch taught Flying to the First year Gryffindors and Slytherins in the Training Grounds. Neville Longbottom kicked off too early and lost control and fell off his broomstick and accidentally broke his wrist.||Madam Hooch taught Flying to the First year Gryffindors and Slytherins in the Training Grounds. Neville Longbottom kicked off too early and lost control and fell off his broomstick and accidentally broke his wrist.||Madam Hooch only taught Harry at the flying practise arena to fly on his broomstick and fly through the magical rings, but if Harry finds a secret area (After completing the flying lesson), Madam Hooch will congratulate him for finding the secret room since 1867. Hermione and Ron and Harry's Gryffindor and Slytherin Friends are not in the flying practise arena. But there are different students standing at the door with their broomsticks.||Madam Hooch only taught Harry at the flying practise arena to fly the broomstick through the rings. There are 3 challenges of the flying lesson through the hoops. After Charms there is another lesson where Harry must catch Hagrids pet Flitterby Moths. There are no students at present.||
||Madam Hooch taught Flying to the first year Gryffindors and Slytherins in the Training Grounds. Harry gets the first turn on flying his broomstick and flying through the rings. After Harry finishes flying his broomstick and earned a few house points, Neville Longbottom gets a turn but he kicked off too early and lost control and fell off and accidentally broke his wrist.|
|Right before the Troll||Ron and Harry see Snape pass them, and then the friends lock the girls' lavatory door and hear Hermione scream. Then, they go and rescue Hermione.||Ron and Harry see the troll get in the girls' lavatory and follow it to save Hermione.||Harry and Ron see Snape leaving the Forbidden corridor while limping. Soon afterwards, Ron and Harry smell something, and then they have to run from the troll. When the troll runs into the girls' lavatory the friends lock the door and hear Hermione scream. Then, they go and rescue Hermione.||Ron tells Harry that a troll managed to get in and trapped Hermione in the girls' bathroom. Harry tries to distract the troll, but it enters the bathroom and the boys follow it.||
|The Troll||Ron uses the Levitation Charm to knock it out.||Ron uses the Levitation Charm to knock it out.||Ron uses the Levitation Charm to knock it out.||Ron uses the Levitation Charm to knock it out.||Harry uses Spongify instead of Ron using the Levitation Charm.|
|Quidditch Match||Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Harry has a Jinxed Broom.||Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Harry has a Jinxed Broom.||First Match: Gryffindor vs. Slytherin.||Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff.||Quidditch is Omitted in the GBC version - Quirrell instead tries to kill Harry using rats hidden in his Gringotts vault. No Jinxed Broom in GBA and Multiple Quidditch Matches.||Gryffindor vs. Slytherin. Harry has a Jinxed Broom.|
|The Forbidden Forest||Harry, Neville, Hermione and Draco go into the Forest. Ron is in the Hospital Wing at the time.||Harry, Hermione and Draco go into the Forest. Ron replaces Neville.||The Forbidden Forest is omitted from the PC Game because Harry(who is alone) isn't caught by Filch(if he is, the level will end).||Harry, Hermione, Hagrid, and Draco go into the Forest. Ron replaces Neville.||Only Harry goes in the Forest.|
|Fluffy's Chamber and Through the Trapdoor||Harry plays the flute Hagrid gave him.||Quirrell bewitched a harp, Harry, Ron, Hermione jump down when Fluffy wakes up.||Harry plays the flute Hagrid gave him.||Harry plays the flute Hagrid gave him.||Harry plays the flute Hagrid gave him.||Quirrell bewitched a harp, Harry, Ron, Hermione jump down when Fluffy wakes up.|
|Devil's Snare||Hermione defeats it with some sort of fire.||Hermione defeats it with Lumos Solem.||Harry defeats it with fire, saving Ron and Hermione.||Harry defeats it with fire.||Harry and Hermione defeat it using Incendio and Diffindo.|
|Winged Keys||Harry catches the key with Ron and Hermione's help.||Harry catches the key.||Harry catches the key.||Harry catches the key.||Harry catches the key.||Harry catches the key.|
|Giant Chess Board||Harry is a bishop, Hermione is a rook, Ron is a Knight and later gets injured.||Harry is a bishop, Hermione is a rook, Ron is a Knight and later gets injured.||Ron defeats most of the pieces and gets injured, Harry defeats the rest, and Hermione doesn't play.||There are three boards; Ron defeats most of the pieces and gets injured, Harry defeats the rest, and Hermione doesn't play.||Ron defeats some pieces and Harry takes over.|
|Troll||Quirrell has already defeated the troll, so Harry and Hermione just pass through to the next room.||The Troll is omitted from the movie.||The Troll is omitted from the game.||The Troll, still groggy, follows Harry down a stone passageway until it falls into a pit at the other end. Hermione opens the door to the next room with Alohomora.||The Troll is omitted from the game.|
|Potion Riddle||Hermione solves the riddle; Harry goes through the black flames, Hermione goes through the purple flames.||The Potion Riddle is omitted from the movie.||Harry watches the vials switch places and guess which one isn't poison. The vials go faster and faster to make it harder. If Harry drinks any potion besides the correct one, he simply dies.||Harry has to guess which knight has the correct potion.||The Potion Riddle is omitted from the game.|
|Mirror of Erised Antechamber||None||None||Harry has to push Flipendo blocks to get to the Mirror of Erised room, while Quirrell pushes the blocks back and tries to curse him.||Quirrell brings suits of armour to life and summons a gigantic suit of armour.||None|
|Mirror of Erised Chamber||Harry struggles against Quirrell and Voldemort, He then touches Quirrell's face, but passes out before Quirrell dies.||Harry must kill Quirrell/Voldemort by collapsing pillars on top of him then he must deflect Voldemort's curses with the Mirror. Harry passes out at the same time Quirrell dies. Dumbledore then bursts in to the room.||Harry tries to kill Quirrell/Voldemort by collapsing pillars on top of him, after he damages Quirrell enough, he will destroy the pillars, Harry then must cast Flipendo at the Mirror, which will absorb it. Then he must cast it again when Quirrell is directly in front/behind the mirror. After which, Quirrell will then start to try and drain Harry's life force. The player must quickly press the square button to resist. Then the player must press the cross button to damage Quirrell when the time is right. Quirrell dies after this part, Harry briefly stares at his corpse, then passes out.||Harry fights Mutated Gytrash, then duels with Voldemort. He then touches Quirrell's face, and watches Quirrell die, and passes out when Voldemort's soul passes through him.|
- Drone Jinx: Only available with Chocolate Frog Cards combinations; produces loud noise and can scare away or harm opponents.
- Knockback Jinx: Knocks objects over, stuns magical creatures, pushes Flipendo Blocks, triggers Flipendo Buttons and destroys Spiky Bushes.
- Unlocking Charm: Unlocks magical locks.
- Levitation Charm: Levitates things.
- Fire-Making Spell: Shrivels plants, stuns Venomous Tentaculas and affects Bouncing Bulbs.
- Verdimillious Charm: Makes invisible platforms appear.
- Avifors Spell: Turns bird statues into real birds.
- Wand-Lighting Charm: Pushes walls, fights ghosts or makes shiny platforms appear when used on Gargoyles.
- Severing Charm: Cuts ropes and chains, stuns Venomous Tentacula and destroys Spiky Bushes.
- Softening Charm: Makes Spongify pads springy.
- Vermillious Charm: Shoots sparks.
- Floating eye curse: Used with the Locking Spell to prevent exploration.
- Locking Spell: Used with the floating eye curse to prevent exploration.
Areas seen in Hogwarts:
- Armoury (GBC version only)
- Art Classroom (GBC version only)
- Charms classroom
- Charms Corridor
- Classroom 1A (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 1C (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 1D (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 1E (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 5B (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 6A
- Classroom 6B (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 7A
- Classroom 7B (PS2 version only)
- Classroom 7C (PS2 version only)
- Cuthbert Binns's office (GB version only)
- Disused seventh floor bathroom
- Entrance Hall
- Fat Lady's Corridor
- Fifth-floor boys' restroom (GBC version only)
- First-floor empty classroom (I) (GBA version only)
- First-floor empty classroom (II) (GBA version only)
- First-floor girls' lavatory
- Filch's office (GBA version only)
- Filius Flitwick's office (GBA version only)
- Forbidden Forest (all but PC version)
- Gargoyle Gate (PS1 version only)
- Great Hall (cut scenes and PS1 version only)
- Gryffindor Tower
- Gryffindor Tower reading room
- History of Magic classroom
- Hogwarts attic (PS1 version only)
- Hogwarts greenhouses
- Hogwarts Library
- Hogwarts Quidditch pitch
- Hospital wing (cut scenes only)
- Philosopher's Stone chambers
- Poppy Pomfrey's office (GBA version only)
- Middle Courtyard
- Minerva McGonagall's office
- Mirror of Erised storage room
- Muggle Studies Classroom (GBA version only)
- Music Classroom (GBC version only)
- Portrait Room (GBA version only)
- Potions Classroom
- Potions Classroom adjoining room (PS1 version only)
- Potions Classroom dungeons (PC version only)
- Potions basement (GBA version only)
- Potion-Mixing Room (GBA version only)
- Quidditch Training Pitch
- Rubeus Hagrid's cabin
- Rubeus Hagrid's garden
- Secret room near the Training Grounds (PC version only)
- Severus Snape's office (GBA version only)
- Sixth-floor empty classroom (GBA version only)
- Temporary Defence Against the Dark Arts Classroom
- Third Floor Corridor
- Transfiguration classroom
- Trophy Room (GBC and GBA version only)
- Wizard Card Collectors' Club room
- Writing Supplies Room (GB version only)
The first four versions of the game were released in 2001 by EA for the PC, MAC, Game Boy Colour, Game Boy Advance, and the PlayStation. The PC version was ported to the Mac by Aspyr in 2002. Another version, for GameCube, PlayStation 2, and Xbox, was released in 2003.
Debug mode can be accessed in the PC/MAC version of the game as it is built on the Unreal Engine. It includes things like ghost mode, fly mode, and others.
In the various versions of the game Save Game books appear throughout the game at various places such as the Forbidden Forest, Hogwarts Castle Hagrid's Hut etc. They help the player to save the progress so that the player won't have to restart the game from the beginning.
Controlling of game
In the PS1 version of the game various manuals appear throughout the game on how to control the game, in the shape of blue books.
- Peeves does not appear in the film, but is battled on a regular basis in this game. In the GameCube, Xbox, and PS2 versions he only appears in a cutscene, but is never battled.
- In the PC/MAC version, the Forbidden Forest part is not included.
- In the book and movie, GBC and PS2/Xbox/GameCube version, Neville breaks his wrist after falling off a broomstick from a great height during the flying lesson, what allows Malfoy to steal his remembrall. In the PC/MAC and PS1 version, Neville is not seen flying or wrist-broked at all, nor he appears at Harry's Flying lesson. Instead, he gets upset after that lesson, when he arrives and suggests Harry that Malfoy has stolen his remembrall. In the GBA version, Neville breaks his wrist when Harry arrived at the flying lesson in which Madam Hooch said "Your late, Potter. Neville Longbottom's broken his wrist and I'm taking him to the hospital wing to see Madam Pomfrey". because Harry was late for his flying lesson, then Harry chases Malfoy on his broomstick.
- In the book, PC/MAC, PS1 and GBA Malfoy says he might leave Neville's Remembrall on a tree for him to find, In the film and PS2/Xbox/GameCube version of the game, he suggests to leave it on the roof.
- In the film and book and PC/MAC and PS1 versions, during charms class Professor Flitwick teaches the Wingardium Leviosa spell. but in PS2/Xbox/GameCube versions, Professor Flitwick teaches Spongify and Incendio spell instead of the Wingardium Leviosa spell.
- In the film and book, Harry's broomstick is jinxed in the first Quidditch match. In the PC/MAC and PS1 version, neither Quidditch matches have Jinxed brooms or accidents. In the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox version, the Slytherin match is played on a jinxed broom.
- Christmas and Halloween are omitted in the PS1 version, but Peeves does give Harry the parcel (Invisibility cloak) after beating him in the attic race.
- In the book, Quirrell summons ropes to tie Harry by snapping his fingers. In the film, Quirrell snaps his fingers to make fire surround the area. In the PC/MAC version, Quirrell also conjures fire, but does so by moving his hands. In the PS2/Xbox/GameCube version, Quirrell snaps his fingers to summon power ropes (when Harry is at the Mirror of erised) and then moves his hands to conjure fire around the area. But in the PS1 version, Quirrell does not make fire surround the area, but green ropes do tie themselves around Harry at times. And in all the video games, Voldemort is the final boss.
- In the PC and PlayStation versions of the game, Norbert seems to appear early in the game, unlike in the book and movie where he appears nearly at the end of the story.
- Norbert is omitted in the PlayStation 2, Xbox, Nintendo Gamecube and Game Boy Advance versions of the game.
- Originally Reparo, Verdimillious and an unnamed spell were to appear in the PC/MAC Version of the game. Also Incendio and Wingardium Leviosa were to have more uses.
- The Dursleys were to appear in the PC/MAC Version of the game because they have their model files still in the game.
- Harry fights Draco with Christmas crackers on a daily basis. Though, in the books and movies, Harry doesn't fight Draco at all until Year 2, despite challenging Harry to a duel (that didn't happen) in the first book.
- In the GBA version of the game, Harry gets caught by Professor Snape instead of Filch, and Harry's detention in the forest isn't the same as the book or movie.
- In the GBA version of the game, Harry uses Flipendo on the Troll and it falls in a hole in the girls bathroom. In the PS2/Xbox/GameCube version of the game, Harry uses Spongify instead of Ron using the Levitation Charm. In the book and the movie, Ron used the Levitation Charm on the troll's club to bash the troll's head with it.
- However, in later parts of the game during the detention in the forest, it's possible to use the said charm on the trolls despite there being no gaps to push them in (using it on them causes them to smack their own heads and if cast on them five times they will fall over and remain out cold).
- In the PlayStation 2, Gamecube and Xbox versions of the game the Quidditch Match against Slytherin is at the last match of the year rather than the first.
- In the PC and PlayStation version of the game, Harry gets trapped in the dungeons during Potions class, what doesn't happen in the book or the film.
- In the PlayStation 2, Xbox, Gamecube versions of the game, Harry goes alone in the Forbidden Forest.
- The GBC Version of the game has a glitch during the part where you need to find ingredients for Snape. One of them is supposed to be found by examining a tapestry in Snape's office. However, if you get the other ingredient first, the one in Snape's office will never appear and you will be forced to restart the game.
- In the beginning of the PC/MAC Version of the game, when Dumbledore converses with Harry Potter, he briefly alludes to the Room of Requirement, citing he once found a room filled with Chocolate frog, and returned to the same room only to find fire crabs inside instead.
- However, as the layout of the game's castle does not correlate perfectly with the book, this may be a coincidence.
- In addition, the Room of Requirement was not mentioned in the books until Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
- Also, thee room always contains what one is looking for, and it seems unlikely that Dumbledore would have been looking for Fire cRABS:
- The GBA version of the game is unusual for a sprite-based game in that it has non-ambidextrous sprites for one of its characters; Harry himself has a separate set of left and right sprites to show that he always holds his wand in his right hand.
- See directions how to turn on the debug and cheat at Gamefaqs.com
-  - Listen to the Game Soundtrack