Jet of flame
|Albus Dumbledore (possibly)||1895 or 1896||He may have used this spell in his fourth-year at Hogwarts, "accidentally" setting his bed curtains on fire.|
|Albus Dumbledore (possibly)||1938||He may have used this spell combined with a Flame-Freezing Charm, to demonstrate his magical ability to eleven-year-old Tom Riddle in a Muggle orphanage. Both were used non-verbally.|
|Peter Pettigrew (possibly)||24 June, 1995||He may have used this to light a fire under Voldemort's cauldron in the Little Hangleton Graveyard.|
|Rubeus Hagrid (possibly)||1991||He may have used this spell to light a fire in the grate of the Hut in which the Dursley family and Harry Potter were staying to avoid the barrage of Harry's Hogwarts letters. Vernon Dursley had previously failed in lighting a fire there.|
|Minerva McGonagall (possibly)||1992||She may have used a nonverbal version of this spell to light a grate in Severus Snape's office before Dumbledore arrived, when Harry and Ron smashed a Flying Ford Anglia into the Whomping Willow.|
|Tom (possibly)||1993||He may have used this to light a fireplace.|
|Arthur Weasley||1994||He used this spell to start a fire in the Dursley's fireplace, which terrified them.|
|Alastor Moody (possibly)||1995||He may have used this to burn a piece of parchment used to reveal the location of 12 Grimmauld Place to Harry.|
|Thorfinn Rowle||1997||He used this spell to set fire to Rubeus Hagrid's cabin.|
She used this spell to try and destroy the locket of Salazar Slytherin.
|Harry Potter||1998||He too used this spell to try and destroy the locket, though without any incantation (non-verbally).|
- Orabella Nuttley
- Albus Dumbledore (possibly)
- Arthur Weasley
- Bellatrix Lestrange (possibly)
- Colin Creevey
- Filius Flitwick (possibly)
- Fred Weasley
- George Weasley
- Harry Potter
- Hermione Granger
- Neville Longbottom
- Pomona Sprout
- Remus Lupin (possibly)
- Ron Weasley
- Rubeus Hagrid (possibly)
- Thorfinn Rowle
- In Latin, incendio is the dative or ablative singular of incendium, "fire", and can mean "to fire" or "for fire" (dative), "by fire" or "with fire" (ablative of instrument or means). Thus, the incantation is a way of calling upon fire to burn a desired object, since the spell caster wills harm to be done to an object "by (means of) fire."
- "Incendio" is the Spanish and Portuguese word for "fire". Also, in Italian the word "Incendio" refers to a great fire similar to that one made by Bellatrix to Hagrid's house.
- "Incendio" (pronounced in-cen-DI-u) is also the first person singular of the present of the Spanish verb "incendiar", meaning "to set fire to".
Behind the scenes
- This may be the spell Remus Lupin used on the Hogwarts Express 1993, combined with a Flame-Freezing Charm when the lights went out as he is described as "holding a handful of flames" though it is more likely that he used the charm for Bluebell flames. This may also be the spell he used to relight candles during the Patronus lesson.
- In the video game adaptations of Philosopher's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, Incendio is the Bluebell flames charm Hermione uses in the first book. It is used primarily to wilt dank-loving, threatening plants and burn through spider webs. In the later games it resumes its use as a spell to conjure a small burst of normal fire.
- When Rowle used the spell offensively against Hagrid's hut, it caused an explosion, rather than simply lighting it on fire.
- Incendio is the first known spell to be cast in the series, although magical devices (Albus's Put-Outer), abilities (Animagi) and beings (Hagrid) appeared before.
- In the sixth film, Bellatrix uses this spell to set Hagrid's hut on fire instead of Rowle.
- In Harry Potter for Kinect Harry and Voldemort can use this spell against each other in the final battle during Voldemort's Last Stand as they engage in a normal duel.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First confirmed appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Possible appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (DS and iPod/iPad version only)
- Harry Potter: Spells
- Pottermore (Spells/Duels)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- Harry Potter for Kinect
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Pottermore
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Wonderbook: Book of Spells
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ Half-Blood Prince: Chapter 28
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (video game)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
|Professors: Filius Flitwick|
|Textbooks: The Standard Book of Spells · Achievements in Charming · Quintessence: A Quest|
|Charmbook writers and charm developers: Miranda Goshawk · Scarpin · Felix Summerbee · Randolph Keitch · Basil Horton · Mnemone Radford · Elliot Smethwyck · Jarleth Hobart · Delfina Crimp · Orabella Nuttley · Levina Monkstanley · Fred Weasley · George Weasley|
|Charms studied at Hogwarts: Levitation Charm · Fire-Making Charm · Softening Charm · Skurge · Aresto Momentum · Cheering Charm · Freezing Spell · Seize and Pull Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Silencing Charm · Mending Charm · Reductor Curse · Colour Change Charm · Growth Charm · Water-Making Spell · Locomotion Charm · Vinegar into Wine · Bird-Conjuring Charm|
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|