- "Terminates all spell effects"
The General Counter-Spell (Finite or Finite Incantatem) is a counter-spell for general use. It may be used in duels or on an entire home, as a precaution before a wizard answers the door. It is taught at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
The General Counter-Spell terminates all spell effects ranging from simple spells like the Jelly-Legs Jinx to more complicated spells such as Atmospheric Charms. It's unknown if there is a difference between Finite and Finite Incantatem, in terms of power or usage, it's possible that Finite is simply a more straight forward way of casting the General Counter-Spell.
|Severus Snape||17 December, 1992||Snape used this spell to end the various unfortunate spells that were affecting members of the Duelling Club when things got a little out of hand.|
|Remus Lupin||18 June, 1996||Lupin used this spell to take a Tarantallegra Hex off Neville Longbottom.|
|Harry Potter||2 May, 1998||Harry used this spell to cancel the effects of Descendo (cast by Crabbe) on a large pile of objects.|
From Latin finire, meaning "end", and incantationem, meaning "enchantment".
Behind the scenes
- This spell is included in the Harry Potter: Spells application for the iPhone as a counter-attack spell.
- Hermione suggested in the Deathly Hallows that Ron should try using Finite Incantatem to stop the rain in Yaxley's office.
- In the books, Nymphadora Tonks unfreezes Harry from the Full Body-Bind Curse with a flash of red light, which is presumably this spell. In the films, Luna Lovegood used "Finite" to unfreeze Harry and cause his Invisibility Cloak to fly off him.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (PSP version)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (video game), Level: The Abandoned Substation
- Harry Potter: Spells
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 11 (The Duelling Club)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 8 (Snape Victorious)
- ↑ J. K. Rowling's Official Site (W.O.M.B.A.T.)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 31 (The Battle of Hogwarts)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 36 (The Only One He Ever Feared)
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|