A fine is money that a court of law or other authority decides has to be paid as punishment for a crime or other offence. The amount of a fine can be determined case by case, but it is often announced in advance. It is employed as a punishment by Muggles and wizards alike, and some known people to be fined include Arthur Weasley and members of fringe movement Fresh Air Refreshes Totally, both for minor violation of the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy.
Wizarding governments are also subject to heavy fines from the International Confederation of Wizards for contravention of International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy: both Tibet and Scotland have been repeatedly fined for frequent Muggle sightings of Yetis and the world's largest kelpie in Loch Ness, respectively. American wizards have also been fined on occasion by the ICW for keeping Clabberts in their gardens to give them early warning of approaching Muggles, a penalty that has largely ended this practice.
In 1269, witch Modesty Rabnott attended the Cuaditch match in which the Chief of the Wizards' Council, Barberus Bragge, released a Golden Snidget onto the pitch, offering 150 Galleons to the player who managed to capture it — appalled at the treatment of the bird, Rabnott Summoned it and released it into the wild; once caught, she was fined ten Galleons for disrupting the game. Not having ten galleons, she lost her house.
After Mathilda Grimblehawk and her partner from the Ministry of Magic's Beast Division found a large net in Percival Shacklehorn's tent, they pressured him into confessing he had been in the Alps to capture a Graphorn — he was, as a result, severely fined by the Ministry, and his net was confiscated (Grimblehawk and her partner would later use it to capture an escaped Troll that had been accidentally transported to Muggle London).
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Mentioned only)
- Quidditch Through the Ages (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- ↑ Fine (penalty) on Wikipedia
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 12 (The Polyjuice Potion)
- ↑ Writing by J.K. Rowling: "Clothing" at Pottermore
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- ↑ Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 4 (The Arrival of the Golden Snitch)
- ↑ Fantastic Beasts: Cases from the Wizarding World - Case 2: The Smell of Fear, Act 4