|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is an upcoming trilogy of films based on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, one of the companion books to J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. Rowling will make her screen writing debut with this film. David Heyman, who produced the Harry Potter films, will be returning as producer for Fantastic Beasts.
J.K. Rowling has said that the film will start in New York, around 1920, seventy years before the Harry Potter series, and will feature Newton Scamander as a main character. It is unclear whether the rest of the film will be set in New York. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them tells us that Scamander had been travelling the world in research of magical creatures since 1918, culminating with the publication of his masterpiece in 1927.
Warner Bros approached Rowling about using the book for a film, from which she pitched "an idea that [she] couldn't dislodge". Upon returning to Harry Potter for the first time since 2007, Rowling commented: "I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it." She stated that the idea of seeing Scamander "realised by another author was difficult," hence her decision to be the film's screenwriter. As of the film's announcement, there is no set date for when it might go into production.
On May 13, 2014, it was announced the first film will be released on November 18, 2016.
On 6 October, 2014, J. K. Rowling posted the cryptic message "Cry, foe! Run amok! Fa awry! My wand won’t tolerate this nonsense." on her official Twitter account. She confirmed the following day that this message was a riddle, and the solution, while not part of the script, was the first sentence of a synopsis of Newt Scamander's story. The anagram was solved later that day, with Rowling confirming the solution of "Newt Scamander only meant to stay in New York for a few hours."
Five characters have been confirmed to appear in the trilogy, three of whom are completely original to this work and not mentioned anywhere else.
- Newton Scamander (portrayed by Eddie Redmayne) - Magizoologist, author of the book Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Porpentina (portrayed by Katherine Waterston) - Newton's love interest and future wife
- Queenie (portrayed by Alison Sudol) - Porpentina's younger sister
- Jacob (portrayed by Dan Fogler) - A non-wizard person whom Newton befriends while on his adventure in New York
- Kredan (portrayer TBA) - A wizard who encounters Newton when the latter stops in New York City on his travels to find and document magical creatures
- Modesty (portrayer TBA) - A "haunted young girl" with "an ability to see deep into people".
Notes and references
- ↑ http://www.hypable.com/2014/10/15/fantastic-beasts-director-david-yates/
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 David Heyman confirms he will produce "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" film - SnitchSeeker.com
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The world of Harry Potter returns to the big screen as WB's FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM drops Nov. 18, 2016. by Exhibitor Relations on Twitter
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Warner Bros. Details Strategic Content Plans at Time Warner Investor Conference - TimeWarner.com
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 "JK Rowling to write new Harry Potter-inspired film series based on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" at The Independent
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "JK Rowling to pen Harry Potter spin-off film" at BBC News
- ↑ Warner’s C.E.O. Is Bullish on the Big Screen at The New York Times
- ↑ Cry, foe! Run amok! Fa awry! My wand won’t tolerate this nonsense. by J.K. Rowling on Twitter
- ↑ #helpfulhint The solution is the first sentence of a synopsis of Newt's story. It isn't part of the script, but sets the scene. by J.K. Rowling on Twitter
- ↑ .@EmyBemy2 YES!!!!!!!!!!!! People, we have a winner! by J.K. Rowling on Twitter
- ↑ Eddie Redmayne officially joins Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Will Robinson on Entertainment Weekly
- ↑ 'Harry Potter' Spinoff 'Fantastic Beasts' Finds Its Female Lead at The Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ "'Harry Potter" Spinoff 'Fantastic Beasts' to Star Singer-Songwriter Alison Sudol" at The Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ "‘Fantastic Beasts': ‘Secret and Lies’ Actor Dan Fogler Joins ‘Harry Potter’ Spinoff" at Variety.com
- ↑ Casting call for 'Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them' - warnerbros.co.uk