Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- "Newt's masterpiece has been an approved textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry ever since its publication and must take a substantial amount of credit for our students' consistently high results in Care of Magical Creatures examinations – yet it is not a book to be confined to the classroom. No wizarding household is complete without a copy of Fantastic Beasts, well thumbed by the generations who have riffled its pages in search of the best way to rid the lawn of Horklumps, interpret the mournful cries of the Augurey, or cure their pet Puffskein of drinking out of the toilet."
- —Albus Dumbledore, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them foreword.[src]
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a book written by Newt Scamander detailing magizoology and describing magical creatures. It was a standard textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry since it was written in 1927.
- An A-Z of Fantastic Beasts
Beasts included in the book
- Fire crab
- Mackled Malaclaw
- Red Cap
- Sea Serpent
- Winged horse
Behind the scenes
- A real version of the book was written by J. K. Rowling to raise money for the Comic Relief charity in 2001.
- It is unknown why this book was required for Harry Potter to get this book in the 1991–1992 school year when he did not start Care of Magical Creatures until the 1993–1994 school year. As in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (real), Dumbledore states it is required for Care of Magical Creatures. Though, it is possible it was required for Defense Against the Dark Arts. Harry's copy is protected by the Thief's Curse.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned only on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
References and Notes
|Professors: Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks: The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts: Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom|
|Creatures studied: Hippogriffs · Flobberworms · Salamanders · Blast-Ended Skrewts · Nifflers · Unicorns · Thestrals · Bowtruckles · Crups · Fire crabs · Knarls · Kneazles · Porlocks|