|Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
- "Newt's masterpiece has been an approved textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry ever since its publication and must take a substantial amount of credit for our students' consistently high results in Care of Magical Creatures examinations — yet it is not a book to be confined to the classroom. No wizarding household is complete without a copy of Fantastic Beasts, well thumbed by the generations who have riffled its pages in search of the best way to rid the lawn of Horklumps, interpret the mournful cries of the Augurey, or cure their pet Puffskein of drinking out of the toilet."
- —Albus Dumbledore[src]
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is a book written by Newt Scamander detailing magizoology and describing magical creatures. It was a standard textbook at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry since it was written in 1927.
- "If Newt Scamander hasn’t found it, it’s not worth finding."
- An A-Z of Fantastic Beasts
Beasts included in the book
Behind the scenes
- A real version of the book was written by J. K. Rowling to raise money for the Comic Relief charity in 2001.
- Strangely some creatures seem to be missing from the book. There is no entry on cockatrices, hydras, or three-headed dogs. It is unknown why this is.
- It is unknown why this book was required for Harry Potter to get in his First Year (1991–1992 school year) since he did not start Care of Magical Creatures until the Third Year (1993–1994 school year). As in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (real), Dumbledore states it is required for Care of Magical Creatures. Though, it is possible it was required for Defence Against the Dark Arts. Harry's copy is protected by the Thief's Curse.
- A listing for the book on Scholastic's Harry Potter site gives the price as 14 Sickles and 3 Knuts.
Fantastic Beasts Bestiary Video
It was announced on 12 September 2013 that a film adaption was in the works with Rowling making her screenwriting debut for the film. The film will take place in the same universe as the Harry Potter films but will not be a prequel or sequel to them. Newton Scamander will be portrayed by Eddie Redmayne.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (Mentioned only on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned only on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
References and notes
|Professors: Silvanus Kettleburn · Rubeus Hagrid · Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (substitute teacher)|
|Textbooks: The Monster Book of Monsters · Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them|
|Care of Magical Creatures at Hogwarts: Hagrid's Hut · Forbidden Forest · Care of Magical Creatures classroom|
|Creatures studied: Hippogriffs · Flobberworms · Salamanders · Blast-Ended Skrewts · Nifflers · Unicorns · Thestrals · Bowtruckles · Crups · Fire crabs · Knarls · Kneazles · Porlocks|