At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery. Spoilers will be present within the article.
Fang (1984) was an over-sized boarhound dog, and one of Rubeus Hagrid's pets. He was a large dog that accompanied Hagrid in many places, including the Forbidden Forest, and lived in his hut. Fang was present for the majority of the Second Wizarding War, such as the Battle of the Astronomy Tower and the Battle of Hogwarts.
It's currently unknown what happened to Fang after the Second Wizarding War, but since his name wasn't listed amongst the casualties, it can be assumed he survived.
- "Why don't you name him Fang? I've always liked that name for a dog."
- —A Student recommends the name Fang[src]
Fang was Rubeus Hagrid's pet. He was born and acquired sometime in 1984, and was seen as a puppy in the school grounds fetching a stick and bolting down the hill back towards Hagrid's Hut. The following school year, the pup had somehow gotten itself trapped by the same Devil's Snare from which Hagrid himself had rescued one of the students the previous school term. The student in question, looked toward the Groundskeeper to help him out of this particular predicament.
Approaching this individual, and aware that using the Wand-Lighting Charm would only cause the dangerous plant to retreat further into the room in which it had been placed and make the task of retrieving his pet all the more difficult, implored Jacob's sibling to help him by making a Fire-Breathing Potion. Embarrassed about his failure to keep a close enough eye on his pup, however, Hagrid was reluctant to tell them what the potion was for, but merely recited the ingredients.
Once these were gathered, which Jacob's sibling did with some good help from friends Rowan Khanna and Penny Haywood, they proceeded to meet up with Hagrid on the school grounds. Hagrid implored them to see the the schools Potions Master, Professor Snape. Though reluctant, Snape allowed them to observe him making some fire-breathing potion, which in turn allowed them make it themselves soon thereafter. After helping Hagrid to save the pup from the Devil's Snare by using this potion, this individual inquired as to what the pup's name was. Hagrid, who had not gotten around to name it yet, asked them what they thought to be a fitting name, to which they replied with the name Fang. Hagrid heartily agreed with them and chose to name his pup that very name.
In 1991, Fang accompanied first year students Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter into the Forbidden Forest, only to run away in fear after encountering a hooded figure drinking blood from a dead unicorn. After running away he soon found Hagrid, and Hermione Granger, who immediately knew that Draco and Harry were in danger.
Fang accompanied Ron Weasley and Harry to visit Aragog in the Forbidden Forest. He, Harry, and Ron were nearly eaten by Aragog's children, but they were rescued by the wild Ford Anglia that was previously owned by Ron's father, Arthur Weasley.
Fang was present when Buckbeak's was being reviewed by the Ministry of Magic. He was seen sulking in his basket during one of the trio's many visits to Hagrid's hut during the 1993-1994 school year. Fang also shared the hut with Buckbeak after Hagrid moved the hippogriff inside after Lucius Malfoy made his case to the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures after Buckbeak attacked his son during a Care of Magical Creatures lesson.
Second Wizarding War
When Hagrid was attacked by Ministry of Magic wizards led by Dolores Umbridge, Fang was hit by a Stunning Spell, when he tried to defend Hagrid, resulting in the responsible party being hurled over ten feet away by an incredibly enraged Hagrid. Hagrid took the stunned Fang with him when he escaped. After Voldemort's return was made public and Umbridge was sacked, Hagrid and Fang returned to their home at the edge of the Forbidden Forest.
Fang was present during the funeral of Aragog "sulking in his basket during the burial" and afterwards, padded across the floor to them and laid his head in Harry Potter's lap and proceeded to slobber all over his robes. Fang was also inside Hagrid's hut when it was set ablaze by Death Eater Thorfinn Rowle, during the Battle of the Astronomy Tower on 30 June, 1997. He was rescued shortly when Hagrid and Harry doused the fire with the Water-Making Charm. It can be assumed that Fang was present at Dumbledore's funeral.
In 1998, Fang went with Hagrid and Grawp to Hogwarts to help in the defence of the castle. However, as soon as the fighting began Fang was startled when a vase nearby was hit by a spell and exploded, and he ran away in fright.
It is unknown if he participated in the battle in any meaningful way. After the end of the battle, Hagrid showed no indication of mourning, so it is presumed that Fang had survived the battle, as he was not mentioned among the casualties. His later life at Hogwarts is unknown though he might have lived the rest of his life with Hagrid.
Fang was described as a giant boarhound with black fur.
Personality and traits
- "Out of the way, Fang... Out of the way, yeh dozy dog..."
- —Rubeus Hagrid talking to Fang[src]
Behind the scenes
- In the novels, Fang is said to be a boarhound, or Great Dane. In the movies, Fang is portrayed by a Neapolitan Mastiff, a very different breed, though one that was also used against boars.
- Hugo, Bully, Bella, and Vito. A dog named Luigi played Fang in the second and sixth films. In the 2nd disc special feature of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Head Animal Trainer Julie Tottman shows the new dog who played Fang, and its name is Monkey, while in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the Neapolitan Mastiff who played Fang is Uno.
- In LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, Fang is one of the several characters that can dig up Dig-Spots, including Professor Lupin (Werewolf), Mrs Norris, and Crookshanks. Without using Freeplay mode or Polyjuice Potion, Fang is playable in the fifth level of The Philosopher's Stone, "The Forbidden Forest", the fifth in The Chamber of Secrets, "Follow The Spiders", and "Dragons" as the third level in The Goblet Of Fire. Fang is unlocked at the beginning of "The Forbidden Forest", by changing from either Ron or Harry (in Story-Mode) to Fang, and then using Fang to dig underneath the cliff at the start. Fang's Character-Token will be in the tunnel.
- In the video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix, Fang is only heard from outside Hagrid's cabin and shakes the whole house.
- Fang's role is omitted from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.
- Fang does make a brief appearance in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, though he's easy to miss. He can be glimpsed in the background when Hagrid tells the trio to hurry up and head back to the castle before Buckbeak is executed and Harry is reassuring him that it will be okay.
- In Hogwarts Mystery, the player can choose a name for Hagrid's dog, either Fang, Hagrid Junior, or Voldemort.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (video game) (Heard only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (film)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game) (Heard only)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter: A Pop-Up Book
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Console and PC versions)
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter: The Creature Vault
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 In Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mysteries, Fang can be seen on the school grounds as a little puppy picking up a stick and running down the hill towards Hagird's cabin. Dogs of the type reach their full size in about eighteen months, meaning Fang was born and acquired by Hagrid sometime in 1984, as judging by Fang's size in the first year of Jacob's sibling, Fang cannot be much older than one month. (If Fang remains little pup throughout the game, it could be boiled down to laziness from the game designers, as the Prefects in the game, male and female both, are shown to be the same height as the player in their first year, despite being five, six or possibly even seven years older, which weren't the case even in the earliest PC and video games. Hence, it would mean that Fang's first canonical appearance in the game, given his size and stature at the beginning of it, would be the most accurate one, chronologically speaking).
- ↑ See this image
- ↑ HPUpdate: Neapolitan Mastiff who played "Fang" in HP6 movie had received an Academy Award