|Height of average adult||
|Ministry of Magic Classification||
A Fairy is a small human-like creature with large insect-like wings, which are either transparent or multi-coloured. They possess diminutive intelligence, and live mainly in woodlands or glades.
The fairy is a vain creature, and will often allow itself to be used as decoration by wizardkind. Due to their vanity, fairies are almost constantly grooming themselves. They possess a weak brand of magic that allows it to evade its predators such as the Augurey. The fairy cannot speak; instead, it makes a high-pitched buzzing noise to communicate with its fellow fairies, but they are able to laugh in a similar way to the Flitterbies playful buzzing with the wings.
Fairies can lay up to fifty eggs in one go, laying them on the underside of leaves. The eggs hatch into brightly coloured larvae, and, at six-to-ten days, they spin themselves into a cocoon. They emerge a month later as adult fairies. Bowtruckles eat fairy eggs.
Muggles' impression of the fairy is a generous one, having been ingrained into children's minds in the form of "fairy tales". Wizards believe that, of all the magical creatures in the world, the fairy, along with the unicorn, have received the best Muggle "press".
Behind the scenes
- Fairies have a wide, many-varied appearance in mythology and legend, though they are commonly humanoid and possess magical powers of some form. The small, insect-winged creatures depicted in Harry Potter are consistent with the modern depiction of fairies, though in more ancient times they were described as more akin to angels or trolls, and usually lacked wings.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Wonderbook: Book of Potions - Chapter 4 (Beautification Potion)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) - PS2 version
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game)/Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) - PS1