Euphemia Potter (died c. 1979) was a witch. She was married to Fleamont Potter, with whom she had one son, James.Thus making her the paternal grandmother of the famous Harry Potter, and the great-grandmother of James Sirius, Albus Severus, and Lily Luna Potter.
Little is known about Euphemia's early life. She and her husband Fleamont lived a comfortable life due to his wealth, but they had trouble having children, and eventually gave up the hope of ever having a son or daughter of their own. However, in 1959, to the couple's shock and delight, Euphemia discovered she was pregnant. She gave birth to a son, James, on 27 March 1960. Due to her late-in-life pregnancy, James was an only child, and was doted on quite a lot.
When James's friend, Sirius Black, ran away from home at age sixteen, he found refuge in the Potter household. Euphemia and her husband came to regard Sirius as something of a second son. After Sirius moved into his own flat, he kept in touch with the Potters, and was always welcome to have lunch with them on Sundays.
Advancing in age, both Euphemia and her husband Fleamont succumbed to Dragon Pox shortly after the marriage of their son James to Lily Evans, in 1978-1979, dying within days of each other. Euphemia never got a chance to meet her grandson, who would only be born after his grandparents' deaths, on 31 July, 1980, but she was probably among the relatives who Harry saw when he looked into the Mirror of Erised in 1991.
Euphemia is a Greek name. "Eu" means good and "phemi" means to speak.
Behind the scenes
- It was once presumed that Charlus Potter and Dorea Black, who appeared on the Black family tree, might have been James's parents (since it was known that Charlus and Dorea also had one son). However, J. K. Rowling revealed via Pottermore that that was not the case. It is still more than likely, however, that Charlus Potter is somehow related to Fleamont.
- Euphemia Potter shares the same first name with Euphemia Rowle.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Appears in flashback(s)) (Appears in Mirror of Erised)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Mentioned only)
- Pottermore (First identified as Euphemia Potter)
Notes and references
- ↑ Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Potter Family": "Fleamont and Euphemia lived long enough to see James marry a Muggle-born girl called Lily Evans, but not to meet their grandson, Harry."
- ↑ We know Euphemia's son James is a pure-blood (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 12), which means none of his parents or grandparents are Muggles or Muggle-borns. This implies that James's parents are either pure-blood or half-blood, same for his grandparents.
- ↑ It is unlikely that James would say "Blimey," [...] "and I thought you seemed all right!" about Slytherin house if his own mother was a Slytherin, assuming she did attend Hogwarts.
- ↑ James refers to his father being a Gryffindor, but makes no mention of his mother's house, possibly meaning she was not a Gryffindor.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Pottermore - Writing by J.K. Rowling: "The Potter Family"
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Chapter 16 (Godric's Hollow)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet interview, 16th July 2005
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 6 (The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 13 (Nicolas Flamel)
- ↑ http://www.behindthename.com/name/euphemia