- Arthur Weasley: "But how did you get to Diagon Alley to buy your school things last year?"
- Harry Potter: "I went on the Underground —"
- Arthur Weasley: "Really? Were there escapators? How exactly —"
- — Arthur Weasley tries to ask Harry Potter about escalators[src]
An escalator is a moving staircase, used by Muggles in places where using lifts would be impractical.
The escalators in the train station near Charing Cross Road were broken down on 31 August, 1991. This, combined with the fact that the ticket barriers and train seats were too small to accommodate him, and that he felt the trains ran too slowly, caused Rubeus Hagrid to wonder aloud to Harry Potter how Muggles manage without magic.
Harry Potter and Arthur Weasley took an escalator on their way to the Ministry of Magic for Harry's disciplinary hearing in 1995. Arthur seemed uncomfortable riding it, keeping his legs stiff and close together, his knees bended and both hands on the handrails.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Diffindo-brick made)