At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
The Erumpent is a huge African magical beast resembling a rhinoceros. It is a powerful creature, with a thick hide capable of repelling most curses and charms, a single long horn, and a thick tail. They are treated with great caution and respect by African wizards and witches.
The Erumpent will not attack unless provoked, but the results are usually fatal. The horn can pierce skin and metal, and the horn contains a deadly fluid that causes whatever is injected with it to explode. There are apparently rare occasions when the injected object or being does not explode, as in the case of Wilfred Elphick, first wizard to be gored by an Erumpent. As his Chocolate Frog Card depicts him in bandages, but very much alive, it can be assumed that he survived the attack and did not explode.
Erumpent numbers are not large, because male Erumpents frequently blow themselves up during mating season. Erumpents only give birth to one calf at a time.
In 1926, a female Erumpent was one of the magical beasts that escaped from Newton Scamander's suitcase and rampaged through New York. It was found in the Central Park Zoo near the hippopotamus enclosure. Newton Scamander attempted to coax it back into his case using a combination of Erumpent musk and a mating dance. However, Jacob Kowalski accidentally spilled musk on himself when he was hit by a fish thrown by an escaped seal. The erumpent proceeded to chase Jacob out of the zoo and down onto the frozen pond in Central Park. Newt was able to quickly pursue them and pull the erumpent back into his case.
At some point, Xenophilius Lovegood acquired an Erumpent horn and kept it in his house, believing that it belonged to a Crumple-Horned Snorkack. When Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, and Hermione Granger visited him in 1998, Hermione warned him to get rid of it but Xenophilius maintained his ignorance and insisted it was a horn from a Crumple-horned Snorkack. When Harry, Ron, and Hermione realised that Luna was missing and Xenophilius was planning to trade Harry for Luna they tried to escape before the Ministry members Xenophilius had called could arrive. Fearing they would get away Xenophilius attempted to stun Harry, but instead he hit the Erumpent horn, which exploded and blew up a sizable portion of his house.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (video game) (First appearance) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game) (Mentioned on a Famous Wizard Card)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Daydream VR)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Mentioned only) (Handheld versions only)
- LEGO Dimensions
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Potions (Appears in portrait(s))
- Pottermore (Appears as a Patronus)
Notes and references