- "That bloody bird's a menace!"
- —Ron Weasley[src]
Errol was one of the Weasley family's owls. He was a Great Grey Owl, or Strix nebulosa, and was described by Harry Potter as resembling a moulting feather duster. Errol was also described as ancient, and as such his poor eyesight caused him to hit objects in flight. Errol delivered Harry's first birthday present from Ron before his third year at Hogwarts. He lost consciousness during both long and short journeys. He often stayed with Harry's owl Hedwig to regain consciousness when he delivered messages to him.
Ron often called Errol a "bloody bird," "ruddy bird," or a "menace."
Errol is a village in Scotland, near Perth, which may have served as inspiration for the name of the Weasley family owl.
It is also the name of a dragon in an early Terry Pratchett novel that flies into windows and has the tendency to explode.
It is also possible that his name refers to "error" (as the two words are similar), because of the bird's age and known characteristics.
Behind the scenes
- Errol appears in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, as he bumps into the kitchen window at The Burrow. Later in the film, he lands in a bowl of crisps in the Great Hall in Hogwarts when delivering Ron a Howler from his mother. It is later mentioned that he was used by Ron to deliver Hagrid's release papers. Due to the fact that Errol got lost, Hagrid's release from prison was delayed.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets