Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Harry Potter first encountered Prang in 1993, when he was picked up by the Knight Bus after leaving his Aunt and Uncle's house. Stan Shunpike, the conductor of the Knight Bus, sometimes calls Ernie by his nickname: Ern. When Harry was taken to the Leaky Cauldron Ernie followed him in and was forced to leave by Cornelius Fudge, the then-Minister of Magic.
Prang is described as an elderly wizard with very thick glasses giving him an "owlish" appearance. Ernie doesn't talk much (leaving that to Stan Shunpike, preferring to concentrate on his driving). His driving skills leave much to be desired as he frequently drives off the road and objects must jump out of his way (post boxes, lamp posts, trees, etc.).
EtymologyErnie Prang and Stan Shunpike, the driver and conductor of the Knight Bus, were named after J. K. Rowling's grandfathers, Ernest Arthur Rowling and Stanley George Volant, respectively. Ernie's last name is a play on words, as "prang" is English slang meaning "to wreck an automobile".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Ernie is played by the late Jimmy Gardner.
- In the 2004 LEGO Harry Potter set 4755 Knight Bus, Prang was replaced by Stanley Shunpike as the driver of the Knight Bus. Despite this, Prang was included later in the 2011 remake set 4866 Knight Bus.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Consoles and Windows versions)
- LEGO Harry Potter