Ernie “Ern" Prang was the driver of the Knight Bus.
Harry Potter first encountered Prang in 1993, when he was picked up by the Knight Bus after leaving his Aunt and Uncle's house. Stan Shunpike, the conductor of the Knight Bus, sometimes calls Ernie by his nickname: Ern. When Harry was taken to the Leaky Cauldron Ernie followed him in and was forced to leave by Cornelius Fudge, the then-Minister of Magic.
Prang is described as an elderly wizard with very thick glasses giving him an "owlish" appearance. Ernie doesn't talk much (leaving that to Stan Shunpike, preferring to concentrate on his driving). His driving skills leave much to be desired as he frequently drives off the road and objects must jump out of his way (post boxes, lamp posts, trees, etc).
The name Ernie also belonged to one of J. K. Rowling's grandfathers, with the other one being named Stanley, which was the name given to Ernie's assistant Stanley Shunpike. His last name is a play on words, as "prang" is English slang meaning "to wreck an automobile".
Behind the scenes
- In the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Ernie is played by the late Jimmy Gardner.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Characters of the Magical World
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Consoles and Windows versions)
- Harry Potter LEGO Sets