- "These straightforward but surprisingly dangerous charms cause certain things to swell or shrink. You will be learning both charms together, so that you can always undo an over-enthusiastic cast. There is thus no excuse for having accidentally shrunk your homework down to microscopic size or for allowing a giant toad to rampage through your school’s flower gardens."
- —Miranda Goshawk[src]
The Engorgement Charm (Engorgio) is a charm that causes the target to swell immensely. If the caster attempts to engorge the target beyond a certain point it will violently explode. Although this spell is safe to use on animals, it is not recommended until the counter-charm has been perfected.
Miranda Goshawk included this charm in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 2, the third spell in the book. She also wrote about it in Book of Spells alongside the Shrinking Charm, which can be used to counteract this charm.
|Fred and George Weasley||August 1994||The twins placed an Engorgement Charm on the Ton-Tongue Toffee that they "accidentally" dropped in front of Dudley Dursley|
|Kevin||The little wizard boy in the World Cup was casting an Engorgement Spell (or something very similar) on a slug.|
|Rubeus Hagrid||1992-1993 school year||Hermione suspected that Hagrid has used an Engorgement Charm on his pumpkins.|
|Barty Crouch Jr.||Fall 1994||The fake Moody used an Engorgement Charm on each of the three spiders he had bought to class to demonstrate the Unforgivable Curses.|
|Harry Potter||December 1997||Harry cast this on a spider to practice with the blackthorn wand.|
The word engorge means "to fill to excess".
Behind the scenes
- Ronald Weasley suspected that Rubeus Hagrid might have gotten in the way of a bad Engorgement Charm when he was a kid, not realising that he was half-giant.
- A variation of this spell may be Engorgio Skullus, which makes the head of a person bigger.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Mentioned only)
- Wonderbook: Book of Spells
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Wonderbook: Book of Spells (see this)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Pottermore
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 14 (The Unforgivable Curses)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 4 (Back to the Burrow)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Chapter 2 (Aunt Marge's Big Mistake)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - Chapter 7 (Mudbloods and Murmurs)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - Chapter 7 (Bagman and Crouch)
- ↑ The Tales of Beedle the Bard (real)
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Chapter 23 - (The Yule Ball)
- ↑ LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
|Grade 1 · Grade 2 · Grade 3 · Grade 4 · Grade 5 · Grade 6|
|Charms included in the series: Fire-Making Spell · Levitation Charm · Locking Spell · Mending Charm · Softening Charm · Severing Charm · Unlocking Charm · Dancing Feet Spell · Disarming Charm · Engorgement Charm · Freezing Charm · General Counter-Spell · Memory Charm · Tickling Charm · Summoning Charm · Banishing Charm · Substantive Charm|