At least some content in this article is derived from information featured in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film). As such, spoilers will be present within the article.
Switch was the author of A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration. This book was a required textbook for first-year and second-year Transfiguration classes at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He also contributed an article on the scientific aspects of Human Transfiguration to Transfiguration Today in 1926.
Emeric is a variant of Emmerich, which means "whole, universal". This could relate to him being able to do transfiguration, as he can wholly turn something into something universally else.
To switch is to exchange one thing with another; could be extended to transfiguration, changing one form into another.
Behind the scenes
- Emeric Switch's portrait, as featured in the Harry Potter films, seems to have been based on a c. 1795 portrait of English poet Robert Southey, by Pieter van Dyke.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (First mentioned)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film) (Name seen on wood panelling)
- Harry Potter: The Exhibition (Appears in portrait(s))
- The Making of Harry Potter (Appears in portrait(s))
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (film) (Mentioned on a magazine cover)
- Harry Potter: Hogwarts Mystery (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
Ædificium Oriens · Apothecary department · Book of Monster's Repair Workshop · Care of Magical Creatures classroom · Cauldron cupboard · First Year written exams classroom · Gargoyle Corridor · Ghoul Studies classroom · The Grindylow Lagoon · Horace Slughorn's first office · Laundry · Lower Art Room · Rolanda Hooch's office · Stink Bomb Store · Study Hall
|Professors: Albus Dumbledore · Minerva McGonagall|
|Textbooks: A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration · Intermediate Transfiguration · A Guide to Advanced Transfiguration|
|Known practitioners: Emeric Switch · Circe · Falco Aesalon · Mirabella Plunkett · Thaddeus Thurkell ·|
|Transfiguration spells studied at Hogwarts: Chair to cat · Match to needle · Snail to Teapot · Teacup to Rat · Switching Spell · Transforming Spell · Avifors Spell · Felifors Spell · Mice to Snuffboxes · Beetle Buttons · Rabbit Slippers · Vera Verto · Teapot to tortoise · Draconifors Spell · Lapifors Spell · Vanishing Spell · Owl to opera glasses · Guinea fowl to guinea pig · Hedgehog to pincushion · Porcupine to Pin Cushion · Small Child to Rat · Meddling Man to Monkey · Crinus Muto|
|Branches of Transfiguration: Transformation · Vanishment · Conjuration · Untransfiguration|