Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "Euphoria, I take it? And what's that I smell? Mmmmm.... you've added just a sprig of peppermint, haven't you? Unorthodox, but what a stroke of inspiration, Harry, of course, that would tend to counterbalance the occasional side effects of excessive singing and nose-tweaking... I really don't know where you get these brain waves, my boy..."
- —Horace Slughorn compliments Harry Potter's brewed Elixir to Induce Euphoria[src]
The Elixir to Induce Euphoria is a sunshine-yellow potion that induces a sense of inexplicable, irrational happiness upon the drinker.
Harry brewed this potion in his sixth year while most of his classmates were taking their tests for Apparition licensure. Professor Slughorn set his remaining students the task of creating "something amusing." Harry prepared the potion with the hope that, if he could persuade the professor to taste the potion, Slughorn would be in "such a good mood that he would be prepared to hand over" the memory about young Voldemort and his search for information about Horcruxes. According to the Half-Blood Prince's instructions, the potion recipe was heavily altered.
To brew this potion, follow these steps:
- Add Shrivelfig
- Add Porcupine quills
- Stir four times anti-clockwise
- Add a sprig of Peppermint to counteract side-effects
- Add Sopophorous beans
- Add Wormwood
- Stir six times anti-clockwise
As the name implies, this potion induces sudden euphoria in the drinker - excessive singing and nose-tweaking are possible side-effects (a sprig of peppermint added to the potion during preparation helps to counterbalance these).
Behind the scenes
- As an elixir, the potion must be sweet and aromatic (as elixirs are, by definition). This would fit with the potion's nature.
- Given that every potion must have a magical component to complete the brewing process, the most likely spell to complete this potion's brewing is a Cheering Charm.
- The sixth video game shows the recipe as thus:
- Add peppermint until the potion turns red.
- Add shrivelfig until the potion turns turquoise.
- Stir until it turns blue.
- Allow the potion to simmer till it turns yellow.
- Add porcupine quills till the potion turns blue.
- Allow the potion to simmer till it turns purple.
- Add seven castor beans.
- Allow the potion to simmer till it turns brown.
- Add shrivelfig till the potion turns pink.
- Allow the potion to simmer till it turns orange.
- Add wormwood till the potion turns yellow.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (video game)
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Notes and references