Electricity is a current of energy used by Muggles to power most of their technology. Magic is known to cause interference in the operation of muggle technology powered by electricity, rendering them inoperative. Such items that would not work in a magical environment included computers, radar and bugging devices. Those types of Muggle devices that were able to work within a magical environment had been adapted to be powered by magic instead.
Muggle usage of electricity in their technology was part of the curriculum of the Muggle Studies class at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Chizpurfles will sometimes attack Muggle electrical items in the absence of magical items to consume.
Arthur Weasley is highly fascinated by electricity and keeps a collection of batteries and plugs.
Electricity was one of the subjects studied by new students in Muggle Studies. In 1993, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley spotted Hermione working on an essay titled "Explain Why Muggles Need Electricity."
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (film)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (film)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (film) 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) 
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1