|Eduardus Limette Black|
1899 (aged 70-79)
Eduardus Limette Black (1820s — 1899) was an early member of the House of Black, being older than Cygnus Black I and Arcturus Black I, but it is unknown precisely how he was related to other known members of the Black family. He was disowned and burnt off the Black family tapestry for an unknown reason. It is unknown whether he was married.
Eduardus is most likely a form of the name Edward, meaning "prosperous, blessed guard". As -ette is a French diminutive, the name Limette may indicate the Black family has roots in France, like their relatives, the Lestranges and the Rosiers, which would explain why their motto is in French, not the usual Latin. Limette also means "small lime" in German.
Behind the scenesEdit
- This character appears only on the version of the Black family tree shown in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. He was not included on the version of the tree J. K. Rowling gave to a charity auction in 2006. He was presumably created by the film's production team, with his name being chosen as a tribute to Eduardo Lima, a graphic artist who worked on every Harry Potter film from Prisoner of Azkaban onward.
- This is the earliest known Black to have been disowned.
- It's possible that Alexia Walkin Black, Phoebe and Licorus Black were Eduardus's siblings.
- He may have been sorted into Slytherin house, like most of his family, if he attended Hogwarts School.
- It is equally possible that Eduardus was either a Squib, or he might have married a woman of a different blood status.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears on Black family tree tapestry)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ On the Black family tapestry in the Order of the Phoenix film, only Blacks by birth have portraits, and only their given names are listed on the scrolls beneath these portraits. This indicates that this character was a Black and that Eduardus Limette was his given name.
- ↑ Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film)
- ↑ "Black Family Tree" on The Harry Potter Lexicon