Edgar Bones (d. 1981) was a wizard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bones and brother of Amelia and another man. During the First Wizarding War, he became a member of the Order of the Phoenix. He also married a woman and had several children. According to Alastor Moody, a fellow member of the Order, Edgar was a "great wizard." He was killed by Death Eaters before the end of the war, along with his family.
First Wizarding War
In the First Wizarding War, Edgar Bones became member of the Order of the Phoenix, an organisation led and founded by Albus Dumbledore, in order to oppose the Dark Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Edgar also married a woman and had more than one child with her. Edgar was also described as being a great wizard by Alastor Moody. Rubeus Hagrid also told Harry Potter that the Bones family was considered among the greatest wizards of all time.
Personality and traits
It is known that Edgar was very beloved among the Order of the Phoenix members, and generally the wizarding world. He was possibly a very good person and also good as a wizard, as he opposed Voldemort and his Death Eaters.
The name "Edgar" is derived from the Old English elements ead "rich, blessed" and gar "spear". This was the name of a 10th-century English king who is regarded as a saint. The name did not survive long after the Norman conquest, but it was revived in the 18th century, in part due to a character by this name in Sir Walter Scott's novel 'The Bride of Lammermoor' (1819). In the film version of Order of the Phoenix , Edgar Bones was played (in the Wizard photograph of the Order) by First Assistant Director Cliff Lanning.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Indirect mention)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ Edgar appeared in a photograph with Marlene McKinnon that was taken two weeks before Marlene's death in July 1981. This indicates Edgar was alive in the summer of 1981 and must been killed sometime between then and Voldemort's fall (31 October, 1981).
- ↑ In Ch. 4 of Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, Horace Slughorn states that family members are often Sorted into the same House. This may indicate that Edgar was Sorted into Hufflepuff, as his niece Susan was. However, there are exceptions.
- ↑ Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25
- ↑ 20 October, 2000 chat with J.K. Rowling at Accio Quote!