- "No one lived after he decided ter kill 'em, no one except you, an' he'd killed some of the best witches and wizards of the age — the McKinnons, the Bones, the Prewetts — you were only a baby an' you lived."
- —Rubeus Hagrid regarding the witches and wizards who were murdered during the First Wizarding War[src]
Edgar Bones (d. 1981) was a wizard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bones and brother of Amelia and at least one other person. He attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was possibly sorted into Hufflepuff.
During the First Wizarding War, Edgar became a member of the Order of the Phoenix. He also married a woman and had several children. According to Alastor Moody, a fellow member of the Order, Edgar was a "great wizard." He was murdered by Death Eaters before the end of the war, along with his family.
Edgar was born into a wizarding family and had a sister, Amelia. He attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where he was possibly sorted into Hufflepuff house. Edgar and Amelia also had at least one other sibling, the parent of their niece Susan.
First Wizarding War (1970s-1981)
In the First Wizarding War, Edgar Bones became member of the Order of the Phoenix, an organisation led and founded by Albus Dumbledore, in order to oppose the Dark Lord Voldemort and his Death Eaters. Edgar also married a woman and had more than one child with her. Edgar was also described as being a great wizard by Alastor Moody. Rubeus Hagrid also told Harry Potter that the Bones family was considered among the greatest wizards of all time.
Personality and traits
It is known that Edgar was very beloved among the Order of the Phoenix members, and generally the wizarding world. He was possibly a very good person and also good as a wizard, as he opposed Voldemort and his Death Eaters.
The name "Edgar" is derived from the Old English elements ead "rich, blessed" and gar "spear". This was the name of a 10th-century English king who is regarded as a saint. The name did not survive long after the Norman conquest, but it was revived in the 18th century, in part due to a character by this name in Sir Walter Scott's novel 'The Bride of Lammermoor' (1819).
Behind the scenes
- Edgar Bones was portrayed by First Assistant Director Cliff Lanning in the film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. He only appeared in the photograph of the Order of the Phoenix.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Indirect mention)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Mentioned only)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (film) (Appears in portrait(s))
Notes and references
- ↑ Edgar appeared in a photograph with Marlene McKinnon that was taken two weeks before Marlene's death in 1981 (possibly October). This indicates Edgar was alive in 1981 and must been killed sometime between then and Voldemort's fall (31 October, 1981).
- ↑ In Ch. 4 of Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, Horace Slughorn states that family members are often Sorted into the same House. This may indicate that Edgar was Sorted into Hufflepuff, as his niece Susan was. However, there are exceptions.
- ↑ Order of the Phoenix, Chapter 25
- ↑ 20 October, 2000 chat with J.K. Rowling at Accio Quote!