- "... an unpleasant greenish substance left behind by certain ghostly beings ..."
- —Filius Flitwick
Ectoplasm is a green substance left behind from some ghosts. This substance can be cleaned with Skurge, which is learnt in second year Charms. The Stickfast Hex is known to produce a sticky imitation of this substance.
Behind the scenes
- The Toad, a ghost appearing in the earliest drafts for Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, left ectoplasm all over its classroom.
- The early stages of the making of video game adaptation of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, included plans for an ectoplasm-creating spell.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (video game) (First appearance)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (video game)
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
- Harry Potter Trading Card Game
- Pottermore (Mentioned only)